News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

Northeast corner of 5 and 23 in Mission...

659B7D48-5F7D-413D-8F63-946CE027CEDD.jpeg

IMO, The Cliff Bungalow/Misson area deserves higher density developments. A mid-rise or a small highrise tower can go up on this land but instead, it's rowhomes. Nothing wrong with rowhomes but this sort of development is better suited for an inner-city area like Bankview or Hillhurst. I see Cliff Bungalow/Mission as a spillover of the Beltline. Relative to the area, this is a pretty low-density development and inefficient use of the land given the prominent location. Better just to flip the land to a bigger developer.

IMO, The Cliff Bungalow/Misson area deserves higher density developments. A mid-rise or a small highrise tower can go up on this land but instead, it's rowhomes. Nothing wrong with rowhomes but this sort of development is better suited for an inner-city area like Bankview or Hillhurst. I see Cliff Bungalow/Mission as a spillover of the Beltline. Relative to the area, this is a pretty low-density development and inefficient use of the land given the prominent location. Better just to flip the land to a bigger developer.
I live in Mission and really wish we could get more ground-oriented housing forms (townhouses, stacked towns). But you're not wrong it could use the land more efficiently. One of the building types i'd like to see is low-rise hybrid buildings:
1617978498693.png
1617978527877.png

Northeast corner of 5 and 23 in Mission...

View attachment 311489
I don't mind this although i find that townhouse product in mission always shoots for larger "luxury/executive" unit sizes above 2,000sf and I really wish they would focus on skinnier units, with tandem garages at the 1,200-1,600 sf range. Maybe use interlocked top floors to allow for alternating 3-bedroom units mid-building.

In terms of design i think that the window design on the 3rd floor could be nicer (especially don't like the small windows). Windows would look better if they used the tall and skinny ones consistently for each unit, create a rhythm. The Hardie lap siding would look better if they used the shingle product and if they used alternating or different colours for the different units. The end unit on the corner should have glazing and should address the other street so the building turns the corner.
1617989635578.png

Also on the main floors it would be smart to run picket fence with quality plantings in the front to create outdoor front amenity space that is private for each unit. If it is just shared lawns, the space becomes a useless front setback area that the occupants don't use. Give them a picket fenced area so that they can let a dog out, have a small garden, chairs maybe even a chiminea if they have enough room. Like this, but the front fenced area would be larger:
1617989970897.png

Working on a few ideas for infill micro housing, starting with me own lot. Just testing What ifs. WIPView attachment 311607
It is a prefab concept right now, tilt up. a few options I’m looking at. We provided a concept back in 2013 for Maggie street in Ramsay. There were 4 units on a double lot, with kind of a collective central outdoor space. the idea didn’t get a lot of traction then. I have to figure some stuff out, but from a density perspective I’m interested in this approach. It’s not perfect at all, but stay tuned.

i find that townhouse product in mission always shoots for larger "luxury/executive" unit sizes above 2,000sf and I really wish they would focus on skinnier units, with tandem garages at the 1,200-1,600 sf range.
I bet this comes down to zoning - upping the number of units would likely require a more onerous approval process, even if the building footprint or massing did not change at all.

Along streets like 4th street or 5th street you could do higher density, maybe 6-8 floors. Rowhousing is fine for side avenues.

Back