The Brooklyn | 37m | 10s | Ayrshire | EFG Architects

That's what I'm nervous about. It's hard to tell by the angles of the renderings, but this feels like Metropolitan 2.0.

Even if it is Metropolitan 2.0, there will be sun on the sidewalk since it's on the north side of the street. The biggest thing I dislike about the Met is the oppressive shadow it creates.
I think the Metropolitan gets a worse rep from the shadows because of it's context - for example, here's 15 Ave in-front of the much taller Montana building. 1 travel lane, two parking lanes, buffered sidewalks and a bike lane:

1715786989115.png

Here's the Met - 4 lanes all concrete 1-way:
1715787075665.png

We could argue the point tower v. slab shadowing debate, but the bigger issue why the Met sucks is 11th Ave. Convert 11th Ave to 2 lanes only, with all that extra room for trees/bushes/benches and sufficient soil volume, plus some - narrow parking occasionally - and I think most of the perceived issues with shadows go away. That of course requires trade-offs, but the trade-off is more about how to better use the space that will be partially shadowed, not so much what the building should look like to reduce the shadows on a crappy public realm IMO.

For fun, here's a similar dynamic in Barcelona - shorter buildings and a different climate, but everything is even closer into the street to guarantee lots of shadows. But seems to work just fine:
1715787460460.png

Given the location on 13th Avenue's north side, I don't see any risk of shadows or the wall effect becoming an issue here.

Back