Balmoral Mixed Use | 25m | 12s | o2 Planning and Design

That';s a good sized project. I suspect there will be blowback on it, even if the 17th ave side is a reasonable scale. I think the tower portion on 16th ave is fine.

If it was me, I'd lower the tower slightly to keep more shadow off the SFH to the north and call it a day.
I realize that natural light isn't a 'right' but after only staying sane during covid by spending 10 or 12 months in my south facing backyard in the sun I feel almost like it should be.

If it was me, I'd lower the tower slightly to keep more shadow off the SFH to the north and call it a day.
I realize that natural light isn't a 'right' but after only staying sane during covid by spending 10 or 12 months in my south facing backyard in the sun I feel almost like it should be.
Agreed. The tower could be a bit wider and a couple of floors lower and would probably solve the issue of shadowing.

The land use goes to planning commission next week, with a recommendation for approval from administration.
Report, Background & Evaluation, Applicant Submission, Outreach Summary, CA support letter.

Nice to see the Community Association in support of the application. Sounds like some great collaboration between all parties, and some significant changes made to better align with the newly minted LAP is what earned the support.

I'm glad to see the LAP might actually be doing what it was meant to. I get that community associations are often frustrated when the city updates an ARP or LAP and developers immediately ask for exceptions. That being said, I'm also glad to see the community association supporting a proposal that's in line with the LAP. Hopefully this will encourage more developers to make proposals in the North Hill area given the new degree of predictability with land use.

This one got the recommendation for approval at CPC today. A few more images in the presentation, showing how the proposed land use has changed the possible massing from the original application. Also shows some context of what buildings here could look like in context of the area, including the Jemm towers at Centre and 16th:

Initial proposal to final outcome:
1650573356339.png

Other context of the proposed massing:
1650573404157.png

1650573423778.png

1650573441448.png

1650573457911.png

Last edited:
IMO, I prefer the tower. A tall block long midrise may create massing issues. Plus, if there are two more towers planned by JEMM, I wouldn't want to see only 2 towers stuck up. That would look a bit awkward. Might as well start creating a little high-rise node.

Last edited:

Back