Hampton Inn by Hilton | 56.08m | 17s | Triple One | NORR

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new hotel proposed for dowtown, going to CPC next week. It is located on a small, 50' parcel, just to the north of the Court House at 614 6 Ave SW. There used to be a small 2 storey building on the site, with a Tim Hortons at the base. I say used to, because when I walked by a couple nights ago, demolition was mostly complete.

CPC report:
DP Drawings:
1585334646695.png

Ooof. Design isn't great, but at least it's a new hotel, in the CBD, and connected to the +15. Interestingly, the street frontage is entirely retail - likely a restaurant - while the lobby entrance is at the port cochere on the west side of the main floor.

Here's an expanded/more detailed version of the render.

fullsizeoutput_460d.jpeg

The design looks straight out the 60's, but the function is great. I also like the slender profile, similar to that of the 7th Ave Hat. It's a shame it's not the empty lot beside the Tim's instead, as it would have helped fill the parking lot and downtown Calgary could use a few more of those little buildings.

What do they plan on doing with those windows if something gets built on the parking lot?
Be able to touch your neighbours, go between buildings through windows? Building on other side of parking lot also has windows facing the parking lot.

Jesus. Another terrible dated bland box for DT Calgary. We need a committee with balls to set a minimum bar for design in this city, especially for developments in the Core / inner city.

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Looks fine to me for just a little sliver lot in a location with low prominence. The use is most important here.

The fuss is about the material and colour choice. Otherwise it's a perfectly fine project. Just aesthetically displeasing.

Back