News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I'm assuming it will turn out something like the Biscuit Block or Royop Block. I'm a fan types of projects...keep the character, but add something modern to it to hilight the contrast in a cool way.

I'm assuming it will turn out something like the Biscuit Block or Royop Block. I'm a fan types of projects...keep the character, but add something modern to it to hilight the contrast in a cool way.
The same group (Royop) also did the Royop building on 12th ave which turned out quite nicely.
royop%20.jpg

Strip away the heritage elements and there's really nothing I like about this one. I do like the Bisuit Block. The lighter glass makes a difference. Both have a little too much going on with the additions. I prefer keeping it simple. Let the old buildings be the focus or use really high quality materials and glazing.

I like it. The original heritage building is great little building, and carries the project, but I'm happy with the new addition. The curved roof adds some funkiness you don't see on many other buildings.

I looked at the addition again. It just doesn't fit. The cheap cladding and the curved roof not actually being a curved roof works against the high tech look. It would also look better without the brise soliel between the first and second floor of the addition. It's too much. I liked these more 15 years ago. I've been turned on by recent a project i've seen in Toronto. The front facade of the addition was built to the standard of the old building with the rest being quality SSG curtain wall.

Strip away the heritage elements and there's really nothing I like about this one. I do like the Bisuit Block. The lighter glass makes a difference. Both have a little too much going on with the additions. I prefer keeping it simple. Let the old buildings be the focus or use really high quality materials and glazing.

I fully agree. Honestly, when it comes to modern additions on heritage structures, less is most often more. I am usually the first to degrade boxy architecture, but in these cases, a simple glass box of transparent glass does the trick better than trying to do some sort of low quality "different" approach. Unless you're going to do some sort of wicked out there crystalline addition like the ROM's Crystal, just do less and add the money saved into the interior.

So it looks like the second major DP for the Westbrook TOD is in. The description in the link doesn't provide much info, but I have to believe that they are applying for more than just an indoor rec centre?
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2018-0490

Does anyone know if Matco has any intention of moving forward with their first approved DP, for 500 apartments and a grocery store?
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2015-2086

I have not heard anything on the Matco project. I can't recall if it was rentals or condo, but if rentals, I would have thought it would have a shot at going ahead. Even condos might have a shot given the location.

It would be so awesome if we could get a mini highrise node in Westbrook soon. It feels like almost every other city has multiple ones especially Vancouver and Toronto except Calgary. I know they were suppose to develop the area with high-rises over the next few decades, but its almost been 1 decade since the redevelopment plan with no construction started in the area.
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/coci...p/westbrook-village-arp.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1
page 18 shows a good image of what it could look like one day.

It would be so awesome if we could get a mini highrise node in Westbrook soon. It feels like almost every other city has multiple ones especially Vancouver and Toronto except Calgary. I know they were suppose to develop the area with high-rises over the next few decades, but its almost been 1 decade since the redevelopment plan with no construction started in the area.
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/arp-asp/arp/westbrook-village-arp.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1
page 18 shows a good image of what it could look like one day.

Man that rendering on page 18 would be so awesome.

Reactions: AJX
Man that rendering on page 18 would be so awesome.
I know right! The fact you can easily see the 3 towers in that area already constructed from before due to the elevation just excites me more of what at least 4 0r 5 more would look like spread out southwards. It would be like a second skyline. I honestly would rather take no more further development in the beltline in exchange for more highrises being built in Westbrook for 2-3 years:).

Reactions: AJX
I know right! The fact you can easily see the 3 towers in that area already constructed from before due to the elevation just excites me more of what at least 4 0r 5 more would look like spread out southwards. It would be like a second skyline. I honestly would rather take no more further development in the beltline in exchange for more highrises being built in Westbrook for 2-3 years:).

Combined with Currie's redevelopment right south of that, this would be fantastic

Back