News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

The mall should do pretty well, On an average day at Crossiron, Asian shoppers make up at least a third of the shoppers...Same for Market Mall. Another third of the shoppers at Crossiron are Indian/middle eastern, and a fair number of this people will also shop at the new mall.

And, you know, white people will also be shopping there en masse as well, because we tend to like things.

On the other end of the retail scale, the little strip mall being built @ Blackfoot and Heritage, I just noticed will have no parking out front - all on the side and back. Partly owing to the weird land shape, but it will make for a nicer esthetic me thinks. The final finishes are higher end too, don't have a photo from the front, but they are still working on glass and have not started in on final finishes yet. Will be interesting to see what goes into the spaces.

Retail Strip Mall Construction IMG_2291 by ferreth, on Flickr

retail siding work IMG_2304 by ferreth, on Flickr

Last edited:
And, you know, white people will also be shopping there en masse as well, because we tend to like things.
I'm not in love with any suburban mall usually, but this is one where I may go once in a while, just for some thing different. You can go to any mall in the city, and you get the same stores over and over, but this one will be different. Junky trinkets or whatever...it'll be different.

I hope it will be a barter type market as well. Although you still won't get the same lowball deals you would in SE Asia. Excited to check this out, just wish it would have been built on 17 Ave SE. The empty Target on 52 ST would have been a great spot, especially with the transitway.

Appreciate the updates Ferreth, especially being out of town a lot lately, it's nice to see what's happening back in Cowtown.

On the other end of the retail scale, the little strip mall being built @ Blackfoot and Heritage, I just noticed will have no parking out front - all on the side and back. Partly owing to the weird land shape, but it will make for a nicer esthetic me thinks. The final finishes are higher end too, don't have a photo from the front, but they are still working on glass and have not started in on final finishes yet. Will be interesting to see what goes into the spaces.

Speaking of malls, I heard on the radio a new Landmark Cinema is coming to Market Mall where the Staples currently sits. It will feature VIP style recliner seating. This will be a welcome addition as that area is about to see a population boom with construction on University District ramping up.

Interesting. I wonder how many screens they intend to fit on that site? It isn't exactly the largest around.

I was just reminiscing about the old Market Mall Famous Players with some friends the other day. Kinda of a funny throw back in a way. They only way mind mind could be even more blown is if somehow they decided to bring back the Westbrook theatres.

EDIT: Wherever shall I go for my stationary needs?

Once the stores go in, it should look at lot like Pacific Mall in Markham:

pacific%2Bmall%2B-%2Brestaurants.JPG

This image and more taken from this blog: http://rungloriarun.blogspot.ca/2015/01/pacific-mall.html

As a fan of Pacific Mall, I'm excited. The appeal of the mall will be in getting lost within the giant grid of tiny shops. Hopefully there's no problem getting them all filled in.

Perhaps. The exterior doesn't look too bad so seeing the interior for the first time was a bit of a shock. Filling them all in will be a monumental challenge. If it was easy, they probably wouldn't have been sold as condos

Pacific Mall is one of leading venues in the world for counterfeit everything. It's even known to the office of Trump for this. I wouldn't buy or eat anything from there so getting lost in the maze of tiny shops is about as attractive as getting lost in an airport parking garage searching for my car.

Word has it that a developer recently purchased the Bannerman Block on 4th Street in Mission and has given notice to Flippin' Burgers and the other tenants that they need to vacate by April. Anyone here know if there are redevelopment plans out there for this building or block? Would hate to see another character builder on 4th Street get demolished.A renovation or retrofit would be nice though.

View attachment 133275

Further to my previous post. New article on the development plans today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3985954/calgarys-krickets-closing-as-new-development-moves-in/

The building was purchased by Certus. They are a developer who buy historic building and redevelop them in line with their historic roots. Certus plan to renovate the exterior and double the floor size with keeping the building looking pretty much the same. They will likely extend the rear or build additional floors. Could be an interesting project.

Further to my previous post. New article on the development plans today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3985954/calgarys-krickets-closing-as-new-development-moves-in/

The building was purchased by Certus. They are a developer who buy historic building and redevelop them in line with their historic roots. Certus plan to renovate the exterior and double the floor size with keeping the building looking pretty much the same. They will likely extend the rear or build additional floors. Could be an interesting project.
I seem to remember this coming up a few years ago. They wanted to reno the building and add two floors on top iirc. The top two floors were to be very modern with lots of glass.

I seem to remember this coming up a few years ago. They wanted to reno the building and add two floors on top iirc. The top two floors were to be very modern with lots of glass.

If that's the case, that'll be pretty cool. I like a good renovation of an old building with modern glass extension.

If that's the case, that'll be pretty cool. I like a good renovation of an old building with modern glass extension.
I remember that too, but I believe it was this building a couple of blocks north. My memory is not as good as it used to be though.

Back