Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
i can live with something less than a mona lisa if there is emphasis on street interaction. for me this is the make or break of lifting the inner city into a destination. blow this and its another generation away, sadly i wont be there to enjoy it. lucky its in the capable hands of CSEC and city council. please dont fuck this up please.

I can’t say im surprised. A shiny, value-engineered box was always a likely outcome.

The last real test on if this is just a boring old 1980s-style “field of schemes” stadium ploy to extract public dollars for private benefit will be if the public realm and redevelopment comes through. If these both come through nicely, we won’t end up near the bottom of the pack for stadium farces and can quietly sneak away in the mid-range of North American arena scams.

Things I see that I like:

- Large team store
-Street level retail
-Large sidewalks
-Not cowboy themed
- Not this VV
LzLsM0U.jpg

yeah that's about it...

OMG people … relax, take a deep breath. This is just an initial render. Lots of re-fining to come.

13986936246_23bf38bca0_o.jpg

unknown-jpeg.133215

image9-jpg.108987

stanley-a-milner-library.jpg

If there's one thing I've learned from years on this forum, it's that the final project always looks much better than the render, and that the public realm is always handled with much more detail and quality. Every time there's a blank wall, it gets replaced with a cool feature or some vibrant shops - profitability be damned! The initial render put out to sell the project to the public is the bottom of the barrel, and it only goes up from there!

Nothing says "entertainment district" like an 8 storey blank wall that stretches for an entire block.

There seems to be minimal consideration of context. Most people will be approaching this building from the NW corner (at 12 Ave and Olympic way). 12 Ave will be the east-west route through the rivers district. But it puts up a giant blank wall along 12 Ave. Instead, the arena is oriented toward the SW corner (14 Ave and Olympic way). Why? 14 Ave runs straight into the loading docks of the BMO centre. That intersection will never be a major area for foot traffic.

Nothing says "entertainment district" like an 8 storey blank wall that stretches for an entire block.

There seems to be minimal consideration of context. Most people will be approaching this building from the NW corner (at 12 Ave and Olympic way). 12 Ave will be the east-west route through the rivers district. But it puts up a giant blank wall along 12 Ave. Instead, the arena is oriented toward the SW corner (14 Ave and Olympic way). Why? 14 Ave runs straight into the loading docks of the BMO centre. That intersection will never be a major area for foot traffic.

Also, since it’s clear this will be a warehouse for hockey with a “front” entrance, with this new orientation the back of the building will be the center of our skyline shots.

“What’s that big grey box there downtown Daddy?”
“I think that’s the new urban Costco son”

Back