Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I think the case of NYC and Toronto is different than Calgary's case given the pure density, and the amount of times the arena is used, which in those cities the arenas I believe is more than half the days of the year. It's the right set up. I'd still like to see Calgary's arena offer some street interaction with some retail/restos, but I 100% agree, it shouldn't be the anchor for the area's vibrancy. It really needs to not bring the area down. Not .having surface parking lots around it, already solves part of that problem. the and as Victoria park gets developed over time as expected the area will be continually improve.
That's what made most of the arenas from the 70s -90s so bad, as well as their location. Many were built in suburban wastelands and were surrounded by massive parking lots. Arenas like The Metropolitan arena in Minneapolis, the Meadowlands arena for the Devils or the Capitals old arena in Landover Md. Even in the mid 90's arenas like Ottawa's were still repeating the same failure. Thankfully we aren't seeing that action anymore. For Calgary, it would be nice to see some 4-8 story buildings around the arena along with a mix of 8-15 storey buildings. Some good density, but not surrounded by tall towers.

I’d like to see that 6 to 15 storey density around there as well, but I’m pretty sure that given the skyrocketing property values - incoming subway station, 17 Avenue extension, Arena, Convention Centre, Opera Centre, RiverWalk 2, Elbow Rover access, a new signature bridge to Inglewood, and other infrastructure upgrades - that we will see mostly Guardian-style developments just with better street interaction. The zoning for the portion of the neighbourhood is for mid and low-rise buildings though. I would love to see a step-down approach to the Elbow there, similar to Eau Claire just with retail along the riverwalk portion.

incoming subway station, 17 Avenue extension, Arena, Convention Centre, Opera Centre, RiverWalk 2, Elbow Rover access, a new signature bridge to Inglewood, and other infrastructure upgrades
Is there a timeline for when riverwalk 2 is set to begin? I couldn't find anything on the CMLC's website.

Also where exactly is it set to start and end? I'm guessing it will follow the elbow?

I’d like to see that 6 to 15 storey density around there as well, but I’m pretty sure that given the skyrocketing property values - incoming subway station, 17 Avenue extension, Arena, Convention Centre, Opera Centre, RiverWalk 2, Elbow Rover access, a new signature bridge to Inglewood, and other infrastructure upgrades - that we will see mostly Guardian-style developments just with better street interaction. The zoning for the portion of the neighbourhood is for mid and low-rise buildings though. I would love to see a step-down approach to the Elbow there, similar to Eau Claire just with retail along the riverwalk portion.
Unfortunately that's probably the case.

I’m curious if the 5 people who voted no to the arena in this poll are still felling the same, Or if any of the people who voted yes, have changed their minds?

I’m curious if the 5 people who voted no to the arena in this poll are still felling the same, Or if any of the people who voted yes, have changed their minds?
I had voted in support, but was kind of on the fence. If anything has changed it's that I'm more in support of it now. The excitement of a new arena has a lot of to with it, but also something else.

Recently the topic of young people leaving Calgary has come up. There are multiple reasons for it, and the Saddledome likely isn't one of them, but it could be.
1 - if we continue to get passed over for concerts it can have an effect.
2 - not all young people are artsy latte lifters. A great number of them go to hockey or lacrosse games, and not having those options would hurt the city's reputation. Not just for young people but for somewhat older aged professionals that would consider a move here.

Those are a couple of things that have popped into mind recently, and helped make me support it more.

Can young people afford the events that would be held at this facility? Concerts are typically $200 plus nowadays. I doubt I spent more than $40 on any kind of entertainment in my 20's (the 1990's). The target audience for this facility is likely a much older and wealthier demographics

Can young people afford the events that would be held at this facility? Concerts are typically $200 plus nowadays. I doubt I spent more than $40 on any kind of entertainment in my 20's (the 1990's). The target audience for this facility is likely a much older and wealthier demographics
As a university student, yes me and my colleagues spend money to see concerts and hockey games etc. Theres isn't a a specific target audience for the centre, the goal is to attract concerts and events that can bring in money to the city from people travelling in to see performances and such. When you go to concerts or tours for acts like The Weeknd or Rihanna or whoever ever it may be typically the building is filled mostly by 16-30 year olds.

$40-->$200 Inflation...so yes they will. A few years ago, my buddies and I always made the trip out to Edmonton to see big acts like The Weekend or Drake. Money was rarely an issue when it came to entertainment even though we'd be looking to get good deals on used textbooks.

$40-->$200 Inflation...so yes they will. A few years ago, my buddies and I always made the trip out to Edmonton to see big acts like The Weekend or Drake. Money was rarely an issue when it came to entertainment even though we'd be looking to get good deals on used textbooks.
Inflation hasn't been anywhere even close to 500% over 25 years. Maybe 100%

Inflation hasn't been anywhere even close to 500% over 25 years. Maybe 100%
Was sort of meant to be an exaggeration, tried inserting an emoji. My point is the costs for things such as homes, tuition, etc. have all outstripped general inflation yet people continue to buy. Things will be sold if there's a demand for them and there's usually a high demand for entertanment among the 18-30-year-olds.

Back