Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I very often attend various festivals and work as a volunteer at them.
I started when I was a student, and I still do that sometimes. Most often, I do production services work. Over the years, I have visited more than 40 festivals. I think that this is my dream job. I've met a lot of people. Thanks to my acquaintances, I can go to any country, and I can stay with my friends for a few nights. :) To be honest, Calgary turned out to be one of the best festivals I've been to. The guys really organize lovely, atmospheric, and informational festivals.
I really hope that you will also continue to work on festivals this year, regardless of the pandemic that has ruined all my plans. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
I was able to see the renderings a few weeks ago. It's a fairly traditional shape, so no Saddledome 2.0 ;p It has a similar look to Rogers Place in Edmonton, less the oil drop tip. The exterior cladding is somewhat unique, relative to the other arenas I've seen in North America. The interiors were pretty over the top, so I think those are currently being value engineered. All-in-all I think it will be a great project for the City.

I was able to see the renderings a few weeks ago. It's a fairly traditional shape, so no Saddledome 2.0 ;p It has a similar look to Rogers Place in Edmonton, less the oil drop tip. The exterior cladding is somewhat unique, relative to the other arenas I've seen in North America. The interiors were pretty over the top, so I think those are currently being value engineered. All-in-all I think it will be a great project for the City.

Truly disappointing. Rogers in Edmonton is one of the ugliest looking abominations in the league.

Truly disappointing. Rogers in Edmonton is one of the ugliest looking abominations in the league.
For inexplicable reason, Calgary doesn't build non-curvy roofs on public facilities so I was fearful this would happen. We can likely look forward to pointless curvy pathways and sidewalks nearby too :)

Is there no upset limit on this? Could it seriously lead to a doubling in costs, as long as CSEC pays an equivalent increase?
1623787433801.png

1623787585534.png

There are two things on further review:
1) a cost overrun which is within the agreement (50/50 split) - requires a majority vote at Council (would probably pass)
2) a cost overrun which is outside of the agreement - requires a super majority vote at Council since it would require reconsidering a previous approval (would probably fail)

Back