Votes: 11 21.6%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
I tend to agree. While the towers themselves are interesting, the overall project and streetscape feels somewhat corporate and cold. There's nothing here that feels particularly human-scaled or inviting. It feels like just another place to go to work.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like this concept Lol!

The first time I saw it I thought it was really cool, but two days later I was over it. It's far too cold and bare feeling, and the towers are too big. I prefer to see a collection of smaller buildings scattered around the area, with two or three mid rise buildings thrown into the mix

My two cents I'm out.

Also, the renderings depict a new bridge across the Bow. All I can say is: why? There's already two existing bridges. From Eau Claire to Prince's Island

I don't think there's enough to animate the public space in this design. It's just an open rectangular dead zone surrounded by glass walls. In essence it looks like the same type of corporate plazas that plague the rest of downtown Calgary and other central business districts.

I also don't see any evidence of the existing heritage buildings. Currently those buildings and the children's play area are the only redeeming feature of Eau Claire.

In my view, this design needs:
- to break up the public space into smaller, more intimate partitions
- to bring retail out to the front of the building rather than hiding it within the lobby of the building
- create more textures at street level by using brick, wood, and generally breaking up the facade of the buildings. The blanket of steel and glass is what makes most of downtown Calgary's streetscape so uninviting to pedestrians.

I like your way of thinking. If it were up to me, I would do most of what you are saying.
- I'd bulldoze existing market building and build a new building with a couple of condo towers on top (5-8 floors tall) and have the shops facing the outside.
- Build two smaller buildings where the parking lot is now and have a residential/hotel building on top of each (6-10 floors tall)
- use warmer textures like brick and wood
- keep the old heritage buildings and the water park. Those are the only parts of area that are good now.

so okay, more or less the same thing as what said. :) I think there needs to be some residential on top to help fund. I wouldn't allow any office space, there's already too much of that around Eau Claire.

Hi Group,

I see the Plans for the 5 Bldgs. Way Out Really, Have to B Honest in that I wonder what happens to the Smoke Stack! Does it really have to B moved. With a Bit of Compramise I believe it could stay where it is.Time will tell. Also What Happens to all the Town Houses just to the North of the Market? They are NOT Cheap Units by
any means. Wonder if these Units will fit Into the Plans with 5 Large Towers Smack Up in Front. What happens to the Property Values? Some how I feel there is a Bit More then Just 5 Towers at Stake. It would come as NO Surprise if the Designs get changed at some Point in Time, Just my Own feelings. Could B dead wrong, Will See.

Tnx,
Operater.

The River Run townhouses are not part of the development. Their properties value shouldn't be part of the discussion. They should, however, increase.

Also, the renderings depict a new bridge across the Bow. All I can say is: why? There's already two existing bridges. From Eau Claire to Prince's Island
One of the issues with the existing footbridge is how narrow it is, at least on some days it's hard to get though on a bike, even when walking the bike. I walked my bike through and still managed to clip a toddler and an older lady on the way through. One bridge is fine, but it would great if they made it wider.

I think it I an absolute shame that the city is allowing these developers get full reign on redesigning complete areas of the city without any consideration of what is already there and is liked. It is evident that cash is king in this city.

Today it was released that the city voted in favour of de-designating the smoke stack so that the developers can move it so that they can "maximize" their return. I am all for redeveloping Eau Claire but this "vision" is cold will likely be a failure. How about keeping the buildings that people already love in Eau Claire such as the old Barley Mill and Joeys? Nope, lets knock em down for cold run of the mill blocks of glass. Disgraceful.

There is nothing about this design that is inviting. Why isn't the city putting their foot down and trying trying to ensure that some of the older buildings are kept? They could have worked their redesign around these buildings.

Reactions: AJX
So it's not just me who feels this way. I've never really liked this vision to be honest....at least for Eau Claire. It would be great replacing a car dealership in West Village, but Eau Claire needs something with much better human scale and ambiance. I would rather see the main market taken down and replaced with 5 or 6 small buildings, and the restos that are there now staying there. Those restaurants are the only thing providing life to the area after hours.

I think it I an absolute shame that the city is allowing these developers get full reign on redesigning complete areas of the city without any consideration of what is already there and is liked. It is evident that cash is king in this city.

Today it was released that the city voted in favour of de-designating the smoke stack so that the developers can move it so that they can "maximize" their return. I am all for redeveloping Eau Claire but this "vision" is cold will likely be a failure. How about keeping the buildings that people already love in Eau Claire such as the old Barley Mill and Joeys? Nope, lets knock em down for cold run of the mill blocks of glass. Disgraceful.

There is nothing about this design that is inviting. Why isn't the city putting their foot down and trying trying to ensure that some of the older buildings are kept? They could have worked their redesign around these buildings.

Hi Group,
Somehow I get the feelings we could Get more Changes in the Bldg Designs B 4 its all changed and a Final Design Brief comes forth and is accepted as the final version to City Hall. This will B interesting to see just what happens. I am a bit Disappointed to see the Smoke Stack moved 10 Meters. Why? Good
Question! Will B most interested to see the Real Reasons it has to B moved.

Tnx,
Operater

I don't know why people are getting hung up on the position of the smoke stack. It has no relationship to the current structures around it now. After it is moved, no one will remember where it used to be anyway.

I'm okay with the smokestack getting moved, after all they didn't they also move the Buffalo Cafe? My opposition is to the project as the design as a whole. It's too cold and sterile for my liking. The buildings are also too tall, I realize the developer is trying to maximize, but there has to be a balance. This is one situation where the city has some power and can dictate better design for the public realm.

I don't know why people are getting hung up on the position of the smoke stack. It has no relationship to the current structures around it now. After it is moved, no one will remember where it used to be anyway.
I say just demolish it, it doesn't add anything to the area...

Let's be honest, it is only a lifeless smokestack. I am OK with them moving it but I would like them to at least keep it as it is a piece of history, I just don't believe it has enough historical significance to have an entire development plan revolve around it, but keeping it in the area is good.

That said, I'm still not a fan of the overall plan for this project, I think it could be done much better, with or without the smokestack .

Back