East Riverside Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Calgary

I dunno, these proposals all look pretty bad to me. That little, isolated retail intersection, blocks away from the LRT stop and 1st Ave (in opposite directions), seems doomed to failure. Communities aren't built around single intersections; they're built around main streets that take them to important amenities and services. A real transit-oriented neighbourhood would be one in which people getting off the LRT would find themselves immediately on a retail-lined main street that would take them through the neighbourhood and toward their home, allowing them to stop to pick up groceries or other conveniences along the way. The obvious main streets here are 9th Street and McDougall.

I dunno, these proposals all look pretty bad to me. That little, isolated retail intersection, blocks away from the LRT stop and 1st Ave (in opposite directions), seems doomed to failure. Communities aren't built around single intersections; they're built around main streets that take them to important amenities and services. A real transit-oriented neighbourhood would be one in which people getting off the LRT would find themselves immediately on a retail-lined main street that would take them through the neighbourhood and toward their home, allowing them to stop to pick up groceries or other conveniences along the way. The obvious main streets here are 9th Street and McDougall.

I like all of the plan except for the 9th street portion. That street really should be a main corridor, I'm curious why they didn't design it that way. It would also tie in nicely to 1st ave.

But can they really make ninth Street into a retail corridor? There are already some buildings that don't have retail, and then you have to park on the west side, which takes up a whole block. It doesn't leave many opportunities for retail.

Hi Group,
A Holdover from the General Hospital Days. A H C has some Bldgs in the Areas that they are still using as I Understand things. Question? Where will These Facilities Go to? They have been there for Years, since long B 4 I Moved to Calgary in May 78. Long Time, If the Facilities are on the Move, Where to? As I see It, They have Been a Long Time Resident/.

Tnx,
Operater.

Big changes are afoot for the CNIB site on the east side of Bridgeland by the looks of it:

Still just the land use stage, but check out the description:
1704381265545.png

Big changes are afoot for the CNIB site on the east side of Bridgeland by the looks of it:

Still just the land use stage, but check out the description:
View attachment 531268
Nice to see some movement on this. The concept was proposed to the neighborhood, quite some time ago, but went silent. I'll see if I can dig up the concept renderings. They were posting on SRC, but it would have been around 6-7 years ago.

Edit: After some searching around I found the old renders in a thread called "East Riverside Redevelopment" it appears that this may be part of the overall Riverside development plan from a few years back, and the plan is mentioned in the land use, so I've moved the posts over to this thread for now, but will create a separate thread once more details come in.

Last edited:
This is ambitious and I like it. With buildings proposed as high as 27 stories they’re going to need an Option D added to the proposed plan. 😎

Interesting. I would be curious to know the story behind this. Is the CNIB planning on upzoning and then selling the land? Are they planning on developing it themselves? Will the buildings have some sort of official function for the CNIB or their members? Great to see some more high rise density north of the river and within a 10 minute walk to the train.

Bucci with another Bridgeland Banger:

35 11A ST NE (LOC2024-0074)

East Riverside Project​

1712089535364.png

Back