East Riverside Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Calgary

Great work by the city and B&A group. From what I've heard community residents are supportive of the plan so it should go through without too many hitches.
I also suspect it won't take as long to develop as The Bridges. Momentum from the already developing bridges should help carry on through for this.

Momentum is being a bit generous, seeing how long it has taken to get 1.5 phases of the 3 phases built. Has Steps stalled out again?

Interesting - when can we expect to see phase 1 start?
Phase 1 is sort of underway with Bridgeland Crossings and Radius as part if this. Once a concept is chosen there will be some more tweaking, but I guess it depends on which developers want to build. Given the market, it could be a while.

Momentum is being a bit generous, seeing how long it has taken to get 1.5 phases of the 3 phases built. Has Steps stalled out again?
Steps is going, albeit very slowly. Last time I went past there (about two weeks ago) there were workman on site, but definitely moving at a very slow pace.

Very promising for Bridgeland. I'm intrigued by the pedestrian street. Are the plans to have it closed to vehicles during the day, and open in the evening like Stephen Ave?

As a Bridgelander, I really hope this plan means more reasonably family housing in Bridgeland. As it stands right now, there really isn't much in between the condo-living and million dollar infills. Would be great to see some stand alone housing or townhouses priced in the $450-$600 range.
Yes, this exactly.

Fair enough. I meant that in comparison to the whole Bridges timeline which started back in the late 90s, this one might move along better.

The higher density should be more of an incentive for developers to build I think.

As a Bridgelander, I really hope this plan means more reasonably family housing in Bridgeland. As it stands right now, there really isn't much in between the condo-living and million dollar infills. Would be great to see some stand alone housing or townhouses priced in the $450-$600 range.
Townhouses in that range should be doable, and would be great. Calgary could use more townhouses, not just in Bridgeland but everywhere.

Fair enough. I meant that in comparison to the whole Bridges timeline which started back in the late 90s, this one might move along better.

The higher density should be more of an incentive for developers to build I think.
The higher density (should they go with that concept) might help. I had heard that one of the reasons the Bridges was slow going was because of the lower density. Developers wanted higher density.

These proposals are excellent, I never truly appreciated how much space is available in the neighbourhood for redevelopment. Bridgeland is a great neighbourhood with even greater potential. A close-in TOD site, walking and biking distance to everything, and largely underdeveloped. In 2016, Bridgeland had around ~6,000 residents, with this kind of scale project - and the other redevelopment projects - Bridgeland could be approaching the ~10,000 mark in the future.

I do wonder though how the neighbourhood might have evolved differently if the General Hospital remained? The site opened up the neighbourhood for redevelopment, but at the loss of a few thousands daily visitors and employees. It wasn't until the most recent boom - and it's particular return-to-the-city flair - that we are seeing substantive shifts in the population and activities there. I would like to think that Bridgeland was likely to have continued it's transition to a medium density urban neighbourhood regardless (as most central neighbourhoods have over the past decades), but with the added bonus of much more activity.

Of course, crying over the loss of a hospital is crying over two-decade old, provincially-induced spilt milk, but it would be interesting to imagine how things would have been different.

Looks great. It's all about connecting to the pedestrian bridge.
Agreed. It's very important they get that part right, and so far it looks like they have. The Bow Valley Drive being a pedestrian friendly street with woonerfs, etc... will be very nice, and it looks to have a direct tie to the bridge.

Back