Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Good

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • So-So

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I didn’t mean to say it severely limits our options, just that the city doesn’t take enough consideration of what and where they plant.
Yeah we're on the same page, I was more ranting to myself. I'm so tired of seeing diseased and dying trees all over the place. Like the 13th ave greenway... a solid column of soot black elm trees infected with elm scale. It's expensive to keep making the same mistakes

I agree man. It’s frustrating especially in this day and age that the roads department (I assume they cover sidewalks and pedestrian vegetation?) won’t collaborate with parks, since parks has the expertise to handle this sort of thing. Very frustrating, since it’s actually a simple and muuuch less costly thing to do.

I think the city has now stopped planting Elms due to the Elm Scale, Bur Oak seem the be the tree du jour. They aren't as nice and leaf out later, but if they live I'll consider it a win.

Also keep in mind that we have had some very early cold snaps, lots of trees still had green leaves when the first hard frost hit the last 2 years. I think the tree behind my house is half dead because of it, only half the leaves are out now and I don't see buds on the rest.

Tower 2 definitely under construction.

05842218-9652-4573-BD66-28D52E46BE70.jpeg
DE021D66-7122-4509-8A6D-29AD127E20BC.jpeg

IO passed through Bridgeland, it was exciting to see all the activity. Bridgeland right now feels like a new city coming to life.
It's just the tip of the iceberg of what will hopefully soon be an extension of downtown spilling over the river. Interested to see what happens to the area when the green line starts construction.

... and it only took 24 years
Being a modern, globalized boomtown has left us with some big expectations about how fast cities grow and change and when they are "complete" - it's good to get excited about bold, big and fast changing places. But sprawling sustainability garbage-fire developments are bold, big and fast too. More critical to get the fundamentals right.

Every single building in Bridgeland will be around a few multiples of the time it took to redevelop the neighbourhood (e.g. Dominion might be there for 50, 75 or 100+ years). On a city timeline, having the fundamentals right - good public realm that supports true active mobility lifestyle, physical design and population density/capacity to support local services and amenities, diverse housing choices to minimize demographic bubbles - will lead to a successful neighbourhoods time and time again. Bridgeland is slowly materializing as a great mid-rise district - one of our first ones largely "complete" in the latest generation of construction. Probably only Beltline has the "mid-rise" and "complete" boxes checked so far in this city (complete = a successful built-out urban dense community, not necessarily one that doesn't build anymore).

Of course this is very frustrating as someone who only has one human life span to live, as most of what we build now will probably outlive me (and I am not very old), so few "do-overs" available if we build something dumb. Cities unfortunately have a life spans of hundreds of years, so we won't be around to see it all go spectacularly well or horribly wrong. All the more reason s to support things that are good now and get the fundamentals correct!

On that note, it feels weird to me why Bridgeland is developing literally right now - as the local and global economy crumbles, a layman like myself would guess this would be a stressful time to start big projects, let a whole swathe of ones who all happen to be primed and well positioned to all start at the same time, all within within a few blocks of each other. I am curious on what people smarter than me think about if this is a coincidence or if there is something more to it.

Green line is too far away to have any real affect on Bridgeland in my opinion.

Yeah the Green Line will have no measurable impact on Bridgeland. The Blue Line has already been there for decades.

nice post, unfortunately this isnt coming from someone smarter from you but isnt there 30 blocks of developable land left in bridgeland?

does Bridgeland even contain 30 blocks? I’m pretty certain that there is absolutely not 30 developable blocks at least.

Back