BLVD Beltline | 118.87m | 37s | ONE Properties | Arquitectonica

1548094473639.jpeg

That pit is most interesting for the shoring design. It looks like the first few meters have the regular wood laggings but afterwards it is the concrete mix that is holding the steel piles together.
Seeing these being augered in back in December these steel pieces didn't look any more than 3-4 storeys in length. I would assume the pit will go down to that ultimate depth unless Srrreal saw the DP and it is deeper. If it is, then I what the bedrock will then act as the shoring beyond the bottom of the pile?
Speaking of the concrete mix I don't recall seeing the auger casing to be all that wide, though looking at the pit it looks as if there has been a continual pouring of concrete immediately around the piles and between it. Yet on the grade level to the naked eye it doesn't look like a continual concrete filled trench when the piling rigs were on site. Deep pit shoring engineering has really taken a hold in recent years and this is one example I am still trying to figure out. It took me long enough to understand how cranes got assembled and jacked.

Also of note, there are likely shoring piles at the gravel ramp but buried under all that dirt which will eventually be dug up and reinforced. The notch on Macleod Tr side looks to be a transformer vault as well which should only go down about 2 storeys or so before the notch terminates and aligns with the rest of the perimeter.

It'll probably be the citys' largest pit after the Cancer Center..

I'd imagine they're going to do two crane bases for this one.

Back