Currie | 87m | 30s | CLC | DIALOG

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A development permit has been submitted for 7 residential buildings totalling 702 residential units. The proposal includes two highrise towers, an 18 storey tower and a 30 storey tower.

Phase 1
3 x lowrise buildings

Phase two
2 x lowrise buildings
1 x 30 storey tower

Phase 3
1 x 18 storey tower

Image8.jpg

Attachments

• Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 2,449
Area in blue outline is section 6, 7, 12b and 13

currie-33.jpg

Three sections of the master plan
currie-6.jpg currie-6a.jpg currie-6b.jpg currie-33.jpg

Attachments

• currie-33.jpg
    currie-33.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 2,033
  • currie-6.jpg
    currie-6.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 722
  • currie-6a.jpg
    currie-6a.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 678
  • currie-6b.jpg
    currie-6b.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
That's some crazy ambitious density for an area without a nearby CTrain station. It looks really good, but I can't help but think a community of this size with limited transit access will end up being overly car-dependent and put a lot of strain on Calgary's roads.

Yup, transit is a big one. There are plans for more BRT for the area, but still. too bad it wasn't served by LRT.

Yup, transit is a big one. There are plans for more BRT for the area, but still. too bad it wasn't served by LRT.

Are there any rough plans for a loop line that might serve the area? I seem to recall a survey put out by the City around the time the West Line was pressing full steam ahead about LRT development priorities. If I recall correctly the survey items were:

The West Line
The North Line
The SE Line, then known as SETWAY
8th Avenue Subway
A Loop Line
Airport Spur Line

A fair bit has changed since then. The West Line is now complete and the SE and North have been merged into a single project. A loop line that services at roughly the radius of Currie could potentially hit a lot of major locations. Marda Loop, Currie, MRU, the Military Museums, Rocky View and even Heritage Park and several large communities are all in that general area. Extending north it would pass through Westbrook and on to Foothills, Children's Hospital/West Campus and then East along 16th ave. The south East Corner could potentially pass close to the Farmer's Market and Deerfoot Meadows before passing North into the industrial areas and meeting up with the other end around 16th. It wouldn't surprise me if after the Green Line is further along and the Airport Spur is potentially built that something like this doesn't become a hot topic. The costs would be astounding though.

Back more on topic of Currie specifically, I wonder what the tallest building outside of Downtown is and how some of these proposals stack up?

Last edited:
i would think eventually there will be some sort of short line the runs from downtown to the Glenmore Reservoir but probably not for a long time

i would think eventually there will be some sort of short line the runs from downtown to the Glenmore Reservoir but probably not for a long time

Could be a while. If they do the spur off the WLRT line, then that might be it for LRT in that area.

Even that wouldn't be so bad. You could curl out the end towards Discover Ridge and help a lot of commuters who have very few options too. If this ever gets announced, buy property in Glamorgan!

Back