Cube | 25.91m | 7s | Strategic Group

I vote for Strategic to convert all of Bow Valley Square or (and?) Western Canadian Place into residential ? ??

Last edited:
I love WCP; it's one of my favourites and highly underrated (except when the sun glares off the curved edges; you can't escape it anywhere.)

Back to the subject at hand, looks like a pleasant little rooftop patio.Coupla barbecues and a dining table under cover, and a good number of soft seats and loungers. Sad that probably nobody will be moving in this year until it's too cool for outdoors lounging.

20190828_184623.jpg

The WCP towers may look nice, but the base of the building perfectly represents everything that's wrong with downtown Calgary. The fact that it's on 8th Ave makes its base even more unforgivable.
Many of the towers built in the 80's and 90's look great from afar but the street treatment is horrific, and I agree, it's those kinds of buildings that have killed downtown Calgary. It's nice to have a downtown with a few of those kinds of buildings, but the problem for Calgary is there are just too many.

The WCP towers may look nice, but the base of the building perfectly represents everything that's wrong with downtown Calgary. The fact that it's on 8th Ave makes its base even more unforgivable.
They were renovating it... Is there still hoarding around the plaza? Been a few months since I was over there, but from the "renderings" it didn't look like there was going to be substantial change.

Many of the towers built in the 80's and 90's look great from afar but the street treatment is horrific, and I agree, it's those kinds of buildings that have killed downtown Calgary. It's nice to have a downtown with a few of those kinds of buildings, but the problem for Calgary is there are just too many.
80's and 90's? I don't think it stopped there with office towers:
The Bow:

Manulife Place:

Livingston Place:

Granted, we have had some office buildings that have done much better. These ones just stick out to me though as towers that didn't seem to consider the street presence much.

Very true. Office buildings built after the early 70's seem to have the issue with lifeless street fronts. Thankfully there are buildings that are too small or too old to be part of the +15 and they are ones with street facing retail. The buildings are nothing special from a tower perspective, but they keep downtown from become a complete disaster.

office1.jpg
office2.jpg

Wow what a beauty compared to what it was before. I can't believe I wanted to see a tower go up and the building demolished instead of renovated. This is better than what I had imagined.

Back