Cube | 25.91m | 7s | Strategic Group

IMG_8081.JPG

I'm curious as to what was happening here today. Additional concrete for something? Interior walls? Spouse said planter boxes. ?

I’m going to guess an entire basement level floor slab. They would have had to do a major retrofit adding drain stacks down through the building for all of those new kitchens & bathrooms and connecting together for the runs to the city sewer.

Floorplans are up, they look nice if you don't want/need a balcony. I wonder how soundproofing will be, office buildings aren't normally too great for that.

The floorplans are pretty interesting -- because the floor plates are so large, but the living room and bedrooms both need outside exposure, there is a lot of closet / storage space relative to other units. Interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to live somewhere I couldn't even open the window.

The floorplans are pretty interesting -- because the floor plates are so large, but the living room and bedrooms both need outside exposure, there is a lot of closet / storage space relative to other units. Interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to live somewhere I couldn't even open the window.

I didn’t even think about opening windows...what happens if the AC breaks?

I didn’t even think about opening windows...what happens if the AC breaks?

Spun another way:
  • In-suite laundry (as opposed to many old apartments)
  • Not junky or run-down (as opposed to many old apartments)
  • Floor-to-ceiling windows (as opposed to most old and some new apartments)
  • No balcony (as opposed to all apartments)
  • Not prohibitively expensive or tiny with no storage (as opposed to many new apartments)
  • Across the street from Co-op (?)
It's not for everyone - like any development - but it's a compelling niche they cut out there that provides some choice in a fairly boring rental market. Perfect for a person who values location, loves access to grocery stores, believes they will never use their balcony/thinks Calgary has 10 months of winter, likes sunlight, isn't a millionaire but wants more quality than a stereo-typical old apartment.

Trying to convince Calgarians to live unconventionally (e.g. in an old office building) is a challenge but if they market it right, the market probably exists for their offering mix.

The price point relative to size of the units is great. This will find its niche in the rental market for those who value larger sized units over outdoor space. Every building has its trade-offs or pros + cons. This won't appeal to everyone, which is no different than every other building.

Spun another way:
  • In-suite laundry (as opposed to many old apartments)
  • Not junky or run-down (as opposed to many old apartments)
  • Floor-to-ceiling windows (as opposed to most old and some new apartments)
  • No balcony (as opposed to all apartments)
  • Not prohibitively expensive or tiny with no storage (as opposed to many new apartments)
  • Across the street from Co-op (?)
It's not for everyone - like any development - but it's a compelling niche they cut out there that provides some choice in a fairly boring rental market. Perfect for a person who values location, loves access to grocery stores, believes they will never use their balcony/thinks Calgary has 10 months of winter, likes sunlight, isn't a millionaire but wants more quality than a stereo-typical old apartment.

Trying to convince Calgarians to live unconventionally (e.g. in an old office building) is a challenge but if they market it right, the market probably exists for their offering mix.

I think this building is going to be great, it seems like a really good middle point if you want something newer and don't need much in the way of amenities. I'm mainly curious about how the sound-proofing will be, I've never been in an office that doesn't have tons of sound leaking over from adjacent units.

Can you have bedrooms without operable windows by code?

Thats what I'm really surprised about. Their AC better be good otherwise the windows could make it unbearable during the summer.

So I am actually moving into this building in June. Interior was top notch on the showing (and great size with walk-in closet, storage room with in-suite laundry), and for location and price, I thought it was the best deal (and I checked out several places in downtown/beltline).

P.S. The living room window definitely opens, lol.

I'm so glad they're replace the hideous 80s office glass with vision glass.

50Ou.gif

Back