News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary craft beer scene

Zoom

Member Bio
Reaction score
A discussion for Calgary’s local beer scene. I’m not an expert at Craft beer or microbreweries, but would like to get more into that kind of thing.
Also my brother-in-law is moving here from Hamilton and he’s big on craft beer. He’s already been asking me about Calgary’s local scene.

Any advice on which places are the best?

Calgary probably has one of the best craft beer scenes in the country.

My personal favorites are The Establishment and Cabin Brewing.

Other good ones are Dandy, Outcast, Citizen, Last Best, 88, and Fahr!

Establishment without a doubt is a must (all their imperial batches are amazing). Annex right next door is also a good spot to stop by because they have lil empire inside and the food pairs perfectly well with almost any beer they have.
Inglewood is great for brewery hopping on foot (Cold Garden, O'l Beautiful, Highline, Revival, Dandy)

88 and Cabin have good beer and very chill vibes. Two pillar on centre street brews very small batch beer and they have dunkelweizen and other saisons which are a rare in Calgary.

Cold Garden is my personal favourite because of its location in Inglewood, because it has a beer on tap for everyone, it has cheap pints, and because it’s always a good vibe. Plus they let you bring in food. I’m a fan of the “This Must be the IPA” and “Cakeface”.

Ol’ beautiful next door is pretty good too, and has lots of outdoor seating in the summer. It also has some pretty delicious Mexican food (A1 Burrito). I think “Brass Monkey” would be my favourite of their beers.

I like Annex because it has one of the best burgers I’ve had in the city (Lil’ Empire Burger). I really like their “Force Majeure” NEIPA. It’s next door to Establishment which is also great (I haven’t drank enough beer here to pick a favourite).

Banded Peak has one of my favourite local beers (“Microburst Hazy IPA”), and is close to Cabin (“Sunshine Rain IPA” is my favourite here) and Colorado (I haven’t been here yet), and isn’t far from Paddy’s (really good BBQ).

Last Best is a great choice if you’re downtown. “Tokyo Drift” is my favourite here.

Something I just noticed is that the YYC Beer map shows Freehold Brewing on Riverfront Ave. I know that the building where Bookers was is being renovated so I wonder if it’s moving into that space, which would be nice in the summer when you’re out for a walk/bike along the River (once the flood mitigation construction is finished).

I enjoy all of the places mentioned above, but special shoutout to Paddy's, the wings are always my saving grace on a barley belt brew hop. The Summer in Saskatoon is the best beer at Cold Garden IMO.

I enjoy all of the places mentioned above, but special shoutout to Paddy's, the wings are always my saving grace on a barley belt brew hop. The Summer in Saskatoon is the best beer at Cold Garden IMO.
I saw recently that the owners of Paddy’s are looking to sell so the can retire. Hopefully someone with a good work ethic takes over because the owners always seemed to be there working hard. Every time I went there they always seemed to have some sort of freebie giveaway. Last time I was there they gave away one of the best pecan tarts I’ve ever eaten.

Calgary (and Alberta's) late entry to craft beer created a pretty tight industry. There is a semi official map at https://yycbeer.ca/calgary_beer_map/

My personal favourites are Annex, Establishment, Cabin, and Dandy. With 3 being in the Barley Belt (RIP that name), and one being just north of that in Brewery Flats. That said, there are several good locations around town as well.

I highly recommend making a bike tour of different locations over time.

The one I'll add here is Wild Rose Brewery, a bit off the beaten path but somehow its still pretty busy. Just shows what that Currie area could be if it was anything more than vacant land and a Reserve CF base.

I have to give a 'shout out' to Bottlescrew Bills. They have really nailed it with their home brews under the BSB label. They have rolled out a nitro stout, IPA, red ale, winter ale, a blonde and their latest a sour. I am partial to ales but I am impressed with the nitro stout, something I usually don't care for. Great taste 😋

When I lived up on the north hill Citizen was my go to. If you get a chance also try Two Pillars on Centre Street N. It's an unknown gem. Judging by the comments here, I need to try Cabin and Annex.

Back