Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
The applicant has finally agreed to meet with the Marda Loop area CAs and BIA later this month. Wish it could have happened sooner, before they submitted their LOC and DP applications, but I guess better late than never. Looking forward to the opportunity for a fulsome discussion of the project.

ML33 began excavating last month, so that one is under way now as well. Our understanding is that the ML33 units are now intended to be rented, rather than sold as condos, and that the Strategic project on 34 AV SW across from Original Joes will be a rental property as well. It looks like there will soon be quite a few more rental units in Marda Loop!
As a neighborhood resident, what are your thoughts on this development?

The applicant has finally agreed to meet with the Marda Loop area CAs and BIA later this month. Wish it could have happened sooner, before they submitted their LOC and DP applications, but I guess better late than never. Looking forward to the opportunity for a fulsome discussion of the project.

ML33 began excavating last month, so that one is under way now as well. Our understanding is that the ML33 units are now intended to be rented, rather than sold as condos, and that the Strategic project on 34 AV SW across from Original Joes will be a rental property as well. It looks like there will soon be quite a few more rental units in Marda Loop!
Love the rentals. Will still be expensive but will help provide some diversity in the housing stock, hopefully encouraging more diversity in the local population. Plus would help further the development of the retail cluster that has improved with each new development. Marda Loop really has a chance to turn into a truly vibrant urban node if all these projects complete, each one seems to be paying attention to the pedestrian realm and achieving vibrancy-inducing densities.

Couldn't be happier to hear all this :) More rentals in trendy neighbourhoods is a good thing.

Hey Doug,

I have to say I am personally frustrated with the comment here. RNDSQR has probably undertaken the most comprehensive engagement with regards to Courtyard 33 compared to any other private development on 33rd Avenue to date. Not to mention that we hosted an Open House session for all key stakeholders along with launching back last summer at Mardigras. This process has been both patient and thorough long before any formal application was submitted. We are continuing that process with a concurrent DP application showing our commitment to presenting this vision as planned. RNDSQR along with the team with Civic Works has been diligent in dealing with all feedback received either directly through our website www.engagecourtyard33.com or directly. This last information session is also now gathering all 3 development comittees to have a round table while they have an opportunity to look at some of the changes that have been made or rational that has been provided.

I've been very happy with all of our conversations to date but find this very defeating and implying that we ignored the CA or their concerns is completely false.

Hi DougR, did you mean to post in this thread below instead? Just to clarify the intent of your comments.
https://skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/calgary-ml33-m-5s-casola-koppe-architects.26528/
Thanks

Hey Doug,

I have to say I am personally frustrated with the comment here. RNDSQR has probably undertaken the most comprehensive engagement with regards to Courtyard 33 compared to any other private development on 33rd Avenue to date. Not to mention that we hosted an Open House session for all key stakeholders along with launching back last summer at Mardigras. This process has been both patient and thorough long before any formal application was submitted. We are continuing that process with a concurrent DP application showing our commitment to presenting this vision as planned. RNDSQR along with the team with Civic Works has been diligent in dealing with all feedback received either directly through our website www.engagecourtyard33.com or directly. This last information session is also now gathering all 3 development comittees to have a round table while they have an opportunity to look at some of the changes that have been made or rational that has been provided.

I've been very happy with all of our conversations to date but find this very defeating and implying that we ignored the CA or their concerns is completely false.

Glad you cleared that up. I'm really glad to hear all of this. I couldn't be more excited about this project, especially after having just read this and checked out the website. What an incredible project. Definitely raises the bar of design in this city, in virtually every way. The interior courtyard public space with micro retail is of particular interest.

On that note, let's look at some pretty pictures.

17.04.25+marda_view+1-m_Reduced.jpg

17.09.12+marda_view+4-steps_Reduced.jpg

17.12.17+marda+Streetscape.jpg

17.09.12+marda_view+3_Reduced.jpg

17.04.25+marda_view+2_m_Reduced.jpg

Many things to like about it. The renderings look like a concept. The facade appears to be floating held up by Area 51 tech. The public courtyard with retail is awesome. It's something the major developments in the Beltline should have implemented. I do have concerns that there are 25 steps to reach that space.

Many things to like about it. The renderings look like a concept. The facade appears to be floating held up by Area 51 tech. The public courtyard with retail is awesome. It's something the major developments in the Beltline should have implemented. I do have concerns that there are 25 steps to reach that space.

I hope to see this one approved, now! The stairs remind me of the Central Library, actually :)

max_bbe3b6f600f5fe599e72fd861d66cdf6.jpg

Attachments

• max_bbe3b6f600f5fe599e72fd861d66cdf6.jpg
    max_bbe3b6f600f5fe599e72fd861d66cdf6.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 419

I don't find it to look conceptual at all. They've done detailed work on this design and extensive community consultation. Concepts for this one would have been like a year or 2 ago.

This is a wonderful project. We've had some good low rise projects lately, but I feel like a project like this raises the bar a bit higher.

He's alluding to some of the things in the rendering that aren't likely to look that way in the end. Like the roof and floors being 1" thick.

I don't find it to look conceptual at all. They've done detailed work on this design and extensive community consultation. Concepts for this one would have been like a year or 2 ago.

Who thought that 5468796 Architecture was a good name? Must have been a dull meeting. Hah, I suppose it fits with RNDSQR though. Letter Soup Developers teams up with Number Soup Architecture (to bring us a pretty exciting project mind you).

Last edited:
I think the phone number was pretty creative. Most partnerships are named after last names.

Back