News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What really surprises me is that only Farkas and Gondek are outside of the margin of error. Now sure, they are the consistent leaders. But Davison, Field and Damery are still on life support.
It'll be interesting to see who the front runners are in 6 weeks. I don't think Farkas' share will change much, but there's lots of room for one one the other candidates.

What really surprises me is that only Farkas and Gondek are outside of the margin of error. Now sure, they are the consistent leaders. But Davison, Field and Damery are still on life support.
Agreed. I can understand the 5% for Davison, the scandals last week probably really hurt him, as did the underwhelming arena design. 2% for Brad Field must be disappointing for that campaign, as he has been going rather hard for quite a while. I notice a lot of his signs around, and see frequent social media posts from him/about him (might be just my algorithm). I would have thought that effort would have translated to more than 2%.

Gondek has to step up her game to grow her support. Running a pretty boring campaign based on opposing the province which has her frozen in the polls.

Davison hasn’t shared any ideas or promises — seems to think he should be Mayor due to sitting on Calgary Economic Development’s board. plus his campaign is mired by lots of negative mentions from his fundraising tactics which on the face of it are blatantly illegal.

If the above continues, Farkas will be Mayor unless Damery or Field catches fire.

Gondek has to step up her game to grow her support. Running a pretty boring campaign based on opposing the province which has her frozen in the polls.

Davison hasn’t shared any ideas or promises — seems to think he should be Mayor due to sitting on Calgary Economic Development’s board. plus his campaign is mired by lots of negative mentions from his fundraising tactics which on the face of it are blatantly illegal.

If the above continues, Farkas will be Mayor unless Damery or Field catches fire.
Let's hope that at least one candidate picks up momentum, and a number people strategic voting just to make sure Farkas doesn't get elected.

I wrote a letter to every city councillor regarding my disdain of the proposed renderings that have been released. I outlined all the faults and provided a list of suggestions that would improve it. I implored them to somehow send this back to the drawing board and get some major revisions, or if nothing else, to enhance a few key things. The only councillor liaison who wrote back was Joyti Gondek (not even my ward). She was firmly against having CMLC dropped and only voted in favour of the arena because they were in charge at the beginning. She promised to take my feedback to other councillors. Lip service? Most likely, but i appreciate the fact that she was the only one who bothered to respond. She has my vote moving forward!
She was on Reddit the other day, answering forum questions. She refused to answer the most upvoted question, whether she would disclose her donor's list before the election. This got a lot of people pissed off. Secondly, she refused to directly answer that she was against urban sprawl and would not promise to vote against any new greenfield community development. Instead, she said she was against exurban expansion and annexing new land. Because of this shady reply, she has lost my vote. The arena design isn't as concerning for me as our serious sprawl problem. It's sad but in this upcoming election, we have such garbage candidates to choose from.

She was on Reddit the other day, answering forum questions. She refused to answer the most upvoted question, whether she would disclose her donor's list before the election. This got a lot of people pissed off. Secondly, she refused to directly answer that she was against urban sprawl and would not promise to vote against any new greenfield community development. Instead, she said she was against exurban expansion and annexing new land. Because of this shady reply, she has lost my vote. The arena design isn't as concerning for me as our serious sprawl problem. It's sad but in this upcoming election, we have such garbage candidates to choose from.

Okay, will you vote for a bunch of houses and stores to be torn down in Kensington, Mount Royal, West Hillhurst and Inglewood to build a sea of 4-5 story condos? Because all of the new communities are being built to the citys new density mandates. Its the older neighborhoods that are fighting densification tooth and nail.

I find that just like with the event center, everyone wants to fix sprawl but no one wants to pay for it. Paying for it in this sense would be converting lower density areas in the inner city to high density neighborhoods.

In reality what I think most people with this attitude are fighting against is a new interchange being built in the deep south despite the fact that it will be used by 200,000 people. They don't actually want increase urban density, they're fighting against the suburban lifestyle they don't like.

Last edited:
Okay, will you vote for a bunch of houses and stores to be torn down in Kensington, Mount Royal, West Hillhurst and Inglewood to build a sea of 4-5 story condos? Because all of the new communities are being built to the citys new density mandates. Its the older neighborhoods that are fighting densification tooth and nail.

I find that just like with the event center, everyone wants to fix sprawl but no one wants to pay for it. Paying for it in this sense would be converting lower density areas in the inner city to high density neighborhoods.

In reality what I think most people with this attitude are fighting against is a new interchange being built in the deep south despite the fact that it will be used by 200,000 people. They don't actually want increase urban density, they're fighting against the suburban lifestyle they don't like.
While there are a lot of inner city people who are opposing development in those neighborhoods, most people, if not all here on this forum welcome that kind of change. I do here you though, it would be nice of some of the inner city folk embraced development better.

I like her ideas, but she needs to get in the media more somehow. Damery, is who I'd like to vote for, but I'll be strategic voting for whoever is ahead or closest to Farkas.
Still two months until election day, but the next month is make or break for any candidate. TBH, unless Gondek starts moving as well, or the momentum of Field on Damery takes off, have to imagine that Farkas will win by default. Is Gondek willing to go negative/contrast-y? I doubt it. Her vote intent hasn't moved much, just bounced around. Why do I think this: we should never depend on undecideds breaking in a pattern decidedly different than decideds. And polling only shows momentum (even if small) for Damery and Field. Gondek is floundering and Farkas may have found his floor unless someone really decides to go hard. By not going negative the election is literally being handed to Farkas.

1629846158281.png

Last edited:
Still two months until election day, but the next month is make or break for any candidate. TBH, unless Gondek starts moving as well, or the momentum of Field on Damery takes off, have to imagine that Farkas will win by default. Is Gondek willing to go negative/contrast-y? I doubt it. Her vote intent hasn't moved much, just bounced around. Why do I think this: we should never depend on undecideds breaking in a pattern decidedly different than decideds. And polling only shows momentum (even if small) for Damery and Field. Gondek is floundering and Farkas may have found his floor unless someone really decides to go hard. By not going negative the election is literally being handed to Farkas.

View attachment 343730
I think you're right, the next month is huge. Somebody needs to make a move in the polls to shake things up. I feel like most people either love or hate Farkas, and although he won't got a huge percentage of the vote, if nobody else moves up the vote will be split among the rest of the field. I'm waiting to see how it plays out. For me right now, it's Damery, but it may end up being whoever has the best chance of beating Farkas.

For all the talk of PACs and how they will influence this election, I have yet to see much evidence of it. Maybe I am not looking in the right places, but I haven't noticed any big budget advertising campaigns pertaining to the municipal election yet. Are they out there, and I am just not seeing them? Or, will they start arriving after labour day? Or now, maybe after the federal election to avoid confusion?

Back