News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gotta say I'm getting a little nervous about this election. I really hope the next council isn't just a bunch of NIMBY-ish councilors.

As far as Nenshi running for the liberals I'm not quite sure if I see it in the cards, at least not right now. I imagine him probably wanting to take a break from politics, at least a little while. But then again I suppose he'd have a pretty strong shot at winning a seat in Calgary and some federal representation within the ruling party (if the liberals do in fact win) would certainly be a good thing for Calgary.
Can't see Nenshi risking an election loss under the federal Liberal banner. More likely, Trudeau will appoint him to the Senate, as an alleged voice for Alberta.

Sutherland out. That is 10 new faces to sure. This is starting to feel like rats leaving a sinking ship. What are we going to discover come November?
The next Council will be faced with many unpopular decisions as the current one punted on reacting to the downturn in dt commerical property values and ensuing tax shift. Calgarians likely have little to no appetitie for tax increases right now, so the choices will be between different forms of austerity. Seems like a back to the 90's theme.

Why are firefighters taking political polls?.... I think I know the assumption (they are union, so obviously the mayor will set the direction on the labour negotiations).
Another reason to hate public sector unions. They are living in a dream world if they expect wage increases over the next 5-10 years

Calgary Herald/Sun: Mayoral candidates call on province to prevent convicted criminals from running for office​

There's got to be something to keep that populist nutjob from running, all the attention the media gives him will only make him worse.

Davison PAC not fully disclosing:

On a side note, Livewire is providing excellent coverage of the municipal election.

While still early, Farkas has quite a commanding lead:
I'm not surprised. Those who like Farkas decided a long time ago they like him, and those who don't also decided a long time ago, but don 't know who they like yet.

Back