News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just because things used to be one way and people didn't complain* doesn't mean that it's acceptable. There weren't robo-dialers and all the doxxing sites back in the White Pages era, either, so the force multiplier of one POS with a grudge is much higher. This specifically is a person with a history of charges of both violence and hate crimes, and a current, energetic, intimidation and threat campaign against random health care workers. If banging pans to support health care workers is enough for a news story, surely this is too.

* white men didn't complain; I've heard anecdotal stories of both women and visible minorities who were stalked and harassed back in the White Pages days; society just... didn't really care, back then.

^ It should be pretty easy to get a restraining order against this dude I'd think. I don't think we need to change public policy when this guy is obviously taking threatening actions.

And yeah, while the white pages aren't published exactly anymore, you can buy very comprehensive address and phone lists for not that much money. Basically if you've ever subscribed to a magazine, used a loyalty card which is its own thing, not for a single company, or donated to many charities, your address and name has been sold.

Brad Field vs. Jyoti Gondek was this afternoon on 770 CHQR:

Finally got around to listening to this. I think this was a big win for Brad Field, not because I think he 'won' the debate, in fact I think they were fairly even, but because Farkas declined the invite it greatly improved Brad's visibility with the public. Farkas' loss was his gain.

As for the debate itself, although I think they were pretty similar I think Brad was a bit too.. lenient? as far as the Province's actions or inactions when it comes to the Green Line and taxes. I'm not sure if he didn't want to bite the Province's hand ahead of a mayoral term or if he just highly regards his collaboration skills.

Either way they both came across as serious candidates who wouldn't be a mistake to elect as Mayor. I'll need to hear more to really get to the differences between them.

Lots of people follow dealings with the province a lot less and even though Kenney is personally unpopular, even during the provincial election he polled lower than his party. Lots of people voted for the UCP and you don’t want to attack in a way that makes people feel like you are attack them for voting ucp. With peoples view of city council, they also don’t likely see the province as the sole driver of the city’s ills. Jyoti is trying to wear a progressive coat by ‘standing up’ to the province while holding mostly middle of the road PC views.
TLDR: lots of different cross currents going on.

Back