News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've liked what I've heard from Gondek, so she has my vote for now. She did vote against the 11 new suburbs, so she's not on the take like the big developers want. Look forward to some debates and policy discussions to really get a feel for what the candidates represent. Farkas can fuck off! lol
She voted against these latest 11, after voting for the previous 14 if I recall correctly. The only one to vote against the 14 were Farrell, and Nenshi on some of them (but I might be off, was back in 2018 when that occurred).

She voted against these latest 11, after voting for the previous 14 if I recall correctly. The only one to vote against the 14 were Farrell, and Nenshi on some of them (but I might be off, was back in 2018 when that occurred).
That sounds about right from what I remember. I'm not crazy about seeing the 14 new communities approved, but iirc, they had to at least approve some of them as there is still a demand for new development and SFHs. Not approving them doesn't really solve the problem, but instead creates another problem. My own personal stance is the city needs to continue to do whatever they can to encourage new development within the city, in inner city areas or near transit nodes, etc.. New development will happen, there isn't really a way around it.

I believe you're correct, Farrell opposed the 14 new communities, but also opposed the Sola project in Kensington.

A couple more ‘contenders’ for mayor are still to come. Will be a good contest.
Any hints as to who? While so far all of my personal predictions for this election have proven false (I was shocked DCU is running again, thought for sure Davison would go for Mayor, thought Farkas would simply go for his council seat again), I still feel we will get a complete outsider for mayor, if the right candidate runs.

Is Nenshi not running for sure?

I'm actually nervous about this election. I hope voters remain objective and don't get caught up with the mud-slinging campaigns. Moving forward, Calgary really needs to continue building our city with a progressive attitude. Whether that's for creating jobs, urban planning, attracting investment, mobility, etc. It can't afford to move backwards, especially right now. I know fiscal restraint is necessary given the Cities current situation but austerity would be a killer. I just hope we elect rational and progressive thinking leader(s) for the mayor and council.

Ah damn, now I have to read up on the candidates 😆
I can write off Harry Leather right away, so who is left.
For a long time I gave Farkas the benefit of the doubt but during the the Guidebook debate he asked questions about what would just kill it completely so he's off my list.
Grace Yan brought up bike lanes. Someone who brings up something that is so inconsequential as far as the challenges of of the city goes immediately comes across as an ideologue so that puts her in the 'do not vote for' category unless she redeems herself.
Teddy Ogbonna called the police chief a Marxist for admitting to systemic racism and he's been involved with the UCP so that does not give me a good feeling about him.
Zane Novak "is calling to upgrade the city to “Calgary 2.0”. He wants the city to work more closely with developers to create a growth plan" - is it even possible for the city to work any more closely with developers?
No real opinions on Emile Gabriel, James Desautels, Shaoli Wang
And that leaves Brad Field and Jyoti Gondek who both seem interesting.

Wow, so there's a really good chance this city will go right down the poopshoot.

Back