News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi Group,
I Realize This is a Bit Late! Just Getting Caught Up on Ski Rise Cities etc, Did I VOTE? YES, I was Able to Vote because the Alderman Came to the Care Place I Live at and was Able to Arrange a RIDE to a Poling Station, I Live in Manchester so Its in WARD 9. If NOT I would NOT Have been Able to Get Out and VOTE. I VOTED for My Local Alderman Who I Met at a Canada 150 Event and Yes I Vote for Nenshi. I Felt Bil Smith had TO MANY RED FLAGS. His Attitudes About the Green Line Left a Bad Taste in My Mouth, 4 Yrs from Now Will See who I want for Mayor,.;.;;;..\
Tnx,
Operater.

Hi All,
I am NOT Sure how to Post a Topic on this Site so I'll Ask some one Else to Post It.

Question If a Provincial Election Were Held now - Who Would You Vote For?

UCP, NDP, ALBERTA PARTY LIBERALS, UNDECIDED,

Base It on the Fact that Jason Kenny Won the Leadership of the UCP

Tnx,
Operater,

Not sure if we want to just re-title this thread and keep going, or create a new thread for the 2021 Municipal Election (will leave it to Surrealplaces to decide), but today was the official first day of submitting nominations.

Farkas is running for mayor (announced in the media a few months ago), and Diane Colley-Urquhart is running again for her seat, which I am a bit surprised at. If successful, this will be her 7th term:

My partner and I were talking about this last night. On the one hand, I think Nenshi has overall been an effective mayor and wouldn't be upset if he ran again. The other hand says it might be time for new blood. However, if he does run again, I foresee him losing to a UCP drop-in candidate (ie Bill Smith). If he doesn't run, I think there is a better chance for an other progressive/centrist to gain momentum, perhaps Wooley or Gondek if they decide to run. I'm not sure who else is out there right now besides the current sitting councilors.

I think the main focus of this cycle will be the council races - so many of those will be turning over, or have the potential to. The Mayoral race I don't want to say I don't care, but we've seen how much negative influence councillors being somewhat random can have.

I think the Mayor will run again if the province hasn't signed off on the Greenline.

Councillor Gondek has declared her candidacy for the mayor's seat:
Another sprawl supporting candidate.😩 Never really liked her. Gives me the vibes of an opportunist like Farkas but just more educated and sophisticated. Honestly, I still don't see anyone doing the job better than Nenshi. He isn't perfect but is well educated and truly cares about Calgary. He's great for our international rep. If people are worried about the rise in spending and taxes then they should look at their local councilors track record and conclude if they need to be replaced. Replacing Nenshi, whose 1 vote, makes no difference to our Cities outcome. I understand eventually people get fatigued and desire change but the change has to be better than what was previously. I really hope Nenshi runs again, there are still so many progressive ideas Calgary needs and I trust the man from Harvard to bring them.

Another sprawl supporting candidate.😩 Never really liked her. Gives me the vibes of an opportunist like Farkas but just more educated and sophisticated. Honestly, I still don't see anyone doing the job better than Nenshi. He isn't perfect but is well educated and truly cares about Calgary. He's great for our international rep. If people are worried about the rise in spending and taxes then they should look at their local councilors track record and conclude if they need to be replaced. Replacing Nenshi, whose 1 vote, makes no difference to our Cities outcome. I understand eventually people get fatigued and desire change but the change has to be better than what was previously. I really hope Nenshi runs again, there are still so many progressive ideas Calgary needs and I trust the man from Harvard to bring them.
I think Gondek's a little better than a Farkas. Farkas is pretty one-dimensional; pretty classic Manning foundation anti-government ideologue with a side order of grandstanding. Anything the government does is bad in his books, anything that gets him mentioned in Rick Bell's column is good.

Gondek's a little more complex; she's been solidly progressive on social issues, and she's been a strong advocate for transit, both generally as well as the Green Line and improving the BRT to the north, so she sees a role for government. But she's also been very business-friendly, and there's no bigger business lobby with Council than the development industry. Something of a centrist; on a good day, there's something for everybody to love and on a bad day something for everybody to hate. Nenshi's a really smart guy, but Dr. Gondek's no slouch either on that front.

Evan Woolley won't be running for mayor for sure, and not even for Council. Looks like he's stepping away from politics.

Evan Woolley
@EWoolleyWard8

Image9.jpg

I've liked what I've heard from Gondek, so she has my vote for now. She did vote against the 11 new suburbs, so she's not on the take like the big developers want. Look forward to some debates and policy discussions to really get a feel for what the candidates represent. Farkas can fuck off! lol

Back