News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
He's a conservative who has headed up the Chinatown BRZ and their continual battle against bike lanes and density. Not a great fit for the ward, which had 3 more progressive women finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th with a combined 60something percent of the vote. I've been assured by campaign strategists of the highest order that vote splitting doesn't occur, but it sure looks like that is what happened there last night.
Hmm. I guess we'll see if his anti density means 'stick firmly to the guidebook recommendations' or 'blow up the guidebook'

Yes, with 15 points separating Gondek from Farkas, it wasn’t the close race the polls suggested. Either the polls severely underestimated Gondek support, or virtually all the undecided voters went to her when it became clear that it was a two person race. I definitely saw a lot of Gondek signs pop up around Marda Loop in the last couple weeks.

It’s also clear that Farkas had a 30% ceiling on his support. Enough to squeak by in a divided field, but no match for a consensus candidate, which Gondek became.
It seems the pollsters still haven’t figured out how to reach the young population.

Great to see Gondek win by such an easy margin, send a message to the UCP types here in Calgary and up at the capital.

52 Votes...😣
Screenshot 2021-10-19 105342.png

Overall a very good election, with Farkas, DCU and Magliocca gone, and the possibility of Chu going as well. The polls were once again way off, from now one when poll numbers come out, they need to add 5% to the progressive candidate and subtract 5% from the conservative candidate, and then post the numbers.

One thing kind of annoying is much of the talk that Jason Kenny caused the downfall of Farkas, Chu, etc.. It's true he is part of it, but they are ignoring other reasons.
1) Calgary is becoming a progressive city, Kenny or no Kenny
2) Those guys who lost - Maglicocca, Farkas, and maybe Chu brought this on themselves by screwing up and/or supporting policies that aren't popular.
3) The backlash we are seeing isn't just against Kenny, it's against the UCP and its Wildrose baggage, as a whole.

Overall a very good election, with Farkas, DCU and Magliocca gone, and the possibility of Chu going as well. The polls were once again way off, from now one when poll numbers come out, they need to add 5% to the progressive candidate and subtract 5% from the conservative candidate, and then post the numbers.

One thing kind of annoying is much of the talk that Jason Kenny caused the downfall of Farkas, Chu, etc.. It's true he is part of it, but they are ignoring other reasons.
1) Calgary is becoming a progressive city, Kenny or no Kenny
2) Those guys who lost - Maglicocca, Farkas, and maybe Chu brought this on themselves by screwing up and/or supporting policies that aren't popular.
3) The backlash we are seeing isn't just against Kenny, it's against the UCP and its Wildrose baggage, as a whole.
Yeah I feel like for Farkas in particular, Farkas did in Farkas, Kenney was only in the periphery as a reason.

Apparently Chu has been announced the winner by 52 votes https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/incumbent-sean-chu-defeats-dj-kelly-by-52-votes-in-ward-4-1.5629350
The details of the allegations of sexual assault committed against an underage girl while he was a police officer were reported after the polls closed last night. It's completely disgraceful behaviour. He needs to resign. I wonder if the recall legislation will be used if he doesn't?

Apparently Chu has been announced the winner by 52 votes https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/incumbent-sean-chu-defeats-dj-kelly-by-52-votes-in-ward-4-1.5629350
The details of the allegations of sexual assault committed while he was a police officer were reported after the polls closed last night and it's disgraceful. He needs to resign. I wonder if the recall legislation will be used if he doesn't?
Apparently the recall legislation still needs to be signed into law, and it seems unlikely Kenney would pull the pin on that grenade.

I think the only thing that can force Chu out is the AB govt removing him, but damn I'm not sure I am comfortable with the current government using that power.

I think the only thing that can force Chu out is the AB govt removing him, but damn I'm not sure I am comfortable with the current government using that power.
I don't think the UCP will want come across as protecting a disgraced city councillor like Chu. They don't need any more controversy and the ethics of this go beyond party lines. Michelle Rempel has already denounced Chu. If the Minister has the power to remove him, then this is a very clear case where they should exercise that power.

Last edited:
Provinces have absolute power over municipalities and make use of it from time to time. The only check on this power is fear of voter blow back. Dalton McGuinty feared messing with Rob Ford during his many controversies. Mike Harris had no fear of Toronto voters when he unilaterally dissolved the City of Toronto despite two thirds of Torontonians voting against it in a referendum.

The point is, the buck stops at the Premier's office. It's his decision whether Chu should remain in office and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.

Back