News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Centre Street N corridor development

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A thread dedicated to discussion about general development of Calgary's Centre Street N which will be part of the northern section of the Green Line rail transit line. Centre street is already going through changes but will go through even bigger changes when the northern section of the Green Line is built.

What are people's thoughts on the future of Centre Street N?

Centre St N-corridor.jpg
Centre St N-corridor.jpg

Attachments

• Centre St N-corridor.jpg
    Centre St N-corridor.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 679
Some of the developments along Centre Street N

Centre Green
Image26.jpg

Proposal for Calgary Centre Street north corridor. 89 residential units with retail at base, Certus developments is the developer.

Tigerstedt Block
Tigerstedt.jpg

Medivest development makes some progress.
Medivest-m.jpg
Image27.jpg

Centre Street 22nd ave
Image28.jpg

Attachments

• Image26.jpg
    Image26.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 743
  • Tigerstedt.jpg
    Tigerstedt.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 674
  • Image27.jpg
    Image27.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 680
  • Medivest-m.jpg
    Medivest-m.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 655
  • Image28.jpg
    Image28.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 688
Wow, that is a different look for Centre Street. Which intersection would that be?

I just re-watched the video. It isn't a specific location, it's a concept drawing. So those don't represent actual buildings so much as the type of development they want to see. The area of study that the video was focusing on was primarily around the future Green Line stations around 40th Ave and 28th Ave N. So the best I can say, roughly there.

It sounds like they will be doing some considerably more in depth area specific planning in April-June. So maybe we'll have some firm concepts to discuss soon.

I think the following quote and picture say a lot about the scale of what's coming for Centre Street N.

Somewhere in Europe.png

"And this is maybe a view, and this is actually in Europe as well, maybe it's a view from McKnight Boulevard 20 years from now looking south. [Maybe] instead of the view you get today, centre street might look like this."

That was a quote from Jeremy Sturgess of Sturgess Architecture, discussing the planning process for the new stations and the vision as it pertains specifically to Centre Street in Calgary. I don't know where in Europe this is, but if I had to guess I'd say Sweden as it was an area studied for the project. This part of the video comes around 15 minutes in.

As a non-resident of the area, I'd say it seems exciting. They're talking about creating a whole new street scape which if executed properly could become a draw for people from all over the city. That's as a non-resident. Trying to take a resident's point of view, it seems like a really quiet corner of the city is about to get a whole lot busier. Maybe that'll be a nice change of pace. If you don't like it, you can probably take your increased property value and seek out some quiescence elsewhere though. If I was a really long time resident, I might consider the city's position as meddlesome, but it's really a matter of taste.

With that only superficial understanding, I have to say I hope most of this vision comes to fruition.

Attachments

• Somewhere in Europe.png
    Somewhere in Europe.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Some of the developments along Centre Street N

Centre Green
View attachment 70732

Proposal for Calgary Centre Street north corridor. 89 residential units with retail at base, Certus developments is the developer.

Tigerstedt Block
View attachment 70733

Medivest development makes some progress.
View attachment 70735 View attachment 70734

Centre Street 22nd ave
View attachment 70736

I had no idea there was so much development slated for the area already underway. I see on of them is at 22nd ave. How close are these buildings to 16th? I know the plan is looking like it will cover all of 16th to McKnight, but I have to think development will probably originate closer to 16th the stretch northward as time goes on.

Last edited:
Oddball, there is alot of action along Centre street these days. There is also another development two blocks north of 22nd, on 20th ave that's not shown. I'll try and snap a pic of it sometime, it's a five (maybe 6 floor building. I've noticed that all of the development seems to be on the east side of Centre. Is this because they may widen the west side of it when the LRT is built?

I see the future look of Centre street very similar to the way you do. It's the setup that makes the most sense.

Here's some pics of St Kilda Rd in Melbourne which reminds me a lot of the pic you posted. I could see Centre Street looking something like this.

2014 Nov 18 Image 293.JPG 2014 Nov 18 Image 430.JPG 2014 Nov 18 Image 434.JPG

Attachments

• 2014 Nov 18 Image 293.JPG
    2014 Nov 18 Image 293.JPG
    714.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 2014 Nov 18 Image 430.JPG
    2014 Nov 18 Image 430.JPG
    925.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 2014 Nov 18 Image 434.JPG
    2014 Nov 18 Image 434.JPG
    981.1 KB · Views: 347
Oddball, I missed the link to the video when I first read the post, but noticed it and gave it a quick watch. I'm even more excited for this, and it looks like an great opportunity to make Centre Street into something great. I agree 100% with you, I hope this comes to fruition.

I just re-watched the video. It isn't a specific location, it's a concept drawing. So those don't represent actual buildings so much as the type of development they want to see. The area of study that the video was focusing on was primarily around the future Green Line stations around 40th Ave and 28th Ave N. So the best I can say, roughly there.

It sounds like they will be doing some considerably more in depth area specific planning in April-June. So maybe we'll have some firm concepts to discuss soon.

I think the following quote and picture say a lot about the scale of what's coming for Centre Street N.

View attachment 70752

"And this is maybe a view, and this is actually in Europe as well, maybe it's a view from McKnight Boulevard 20 years from now looking south. [Maybe] instead of the view you get today, centre street might look like this."

That was a quote from Jeremy Sturgess of Sturgess Architecture, discussing the planning process for the new stations and the vision as it pertains specifically to Centre Street in Calgary. I don't know where in Europe this is, but if I had to guess I'd say Sweden as it was an area studied for the project. This part of the video comes around 15 minutes in.

As a non-resident of the area, I'd say it seems exciting. They're talking about creating a whole new street scape which if executed properly could become a draw for people from all over the city. That's as a non-resident. Trying to take a resident's point of view, it seems like a really quiet corner of the city is about to get a whole lot busier. Maybe that'll be a nice change of pace. If you don't like it, you can probably take your increased property value and seek out some quiescence elsewhere though. If I was a really long time resident, I might consider the city's position as meddlesome, but it's really a matter of taste.

With that only superficial understanding, I have to say I hope most of this vision comes to fruition.

Back