Catalyst | 22.86m | 6s | Centron | NORR

I hope this gets built, it could be the start of turning 20th ave into something better.

I hope this gets built, it could be the start of turning 20th ave into something better.

This is a perfect scale for most of the inner city on every major and minor main street roads. These should be nearly everywhere in the inner city, with retail swapped out for townhomes on side streets. The only thing I disagree is the "lay-by" lane along 14th in one of the blueprints. Just commit to it and put on-street parking there. Layby lanes are stupid and result in bizarre and inconsistent road-widths with each block of redevelopment. See downtown and the Beltline for the end game of inconsistent, block-by-block lay-by lane development over several decades.

This is a perfect scale for most of the inner city on every major and minor main street roads. These should be nearly everywhere in the inner city, with retail swapped out for townhomes on side streets. The only thing I disagree is the "lay-by" lane along 14th in one of the blueprints. Just commit to it and put on-street parking there. Layby lanes are stupid and result in bizarre and inconsistent road-widths with each block of redevelopment. See downtown and the Beltline for the end game of inconsistent, block-by-block lay-by lane development over several decades.
I would trade in both Guardian Towers for 20 of these type of developments without a second thought.

This one looks great! Can't wait to see it go up in my new neighbourhood :D

lmao sure! I finally have a phone with a great camera, so I certainly can! :D Except I might have the same prob everyone else is happening with file sizes being too large. I'll give it a whirl though :)

I would like to see an area of 3-4 square blocks that are nothing but buildings like this, but I'll also be happy to see more of these pop up at intersections and and along busy strips like Edmonton Trail.

The location is superlative, but the design is only ok IMO. It's too reminiscent of One6 in the wrong ways. It's the same architect peddling a derivative design. I would absolutely take this over what's there, but it's just filler quality at best.

Personally, I wouldn't take that 20 to 2 trade for the Guardians. The case can certainly be made that 20 buildings of this scale could be better than the Guardians, but not 20 Catalysts. I like Pixel a heck of a lot better and I'm still not sure I'd take the swap. But then, I'm also a height-is-right kinda guy.

Last edited:
I definitely should clarify....20 developments of this scale but the level of Lido, Pixel or Odeon ;) Not so much 20 Catalysts!
The location is superlative, but the design is only ok IMO. It's too reminiscent of One6 in the wrong ways. It's the same architect peddling a derivative design. I would absolutely take this over what's there, but it's just filler quality at best.

Personally, I wouldn't take that 20 to 2 trade for the Guardians. The case can certainly be made that 20 buildings of this scale could be better than the Guardians, but not 20 Catalysts. I like Pixel a heck of a lot better and I'm still not sure I'd take the swap. But then, I'm also a height-is-right kinda guy.

I definitely should clarify....20 developments of this scale but the level of Lido, Pixel or Odeon ;) Not so much 20 Catalysts!
I'll take both & as much of both as possible. Density and ground-level interaction is fairly identical between the Catalysts & Lidos of the world. Some can cater to the high-end (Lido) some can cater to the medium end (Catelyst). 30 years from now, these buildings will transition: some will maintain value, others decline and filter down to be more affordable units relative to future development. Whatever design allows them to be built in more areas, more quickly - assuming the pedestrian-orientation and vibrancy-inducing densities are achieved.

I'll take both & as much of both as possible. Density and ground-level interaction is fairly identical between the Catalysts & Lidos of the world. Some can cater to the high-end (Lido) some can cater to the medium end (Catelyst). 30 years from now, these buildings will transition: some will maintain value, others decline and filter down to be more affordable units relative to future development. Whatever design allows them to be built in more areas, more quickly - assuming the pedestrian-orientation and vibrancy-inducing densities are achieved.
Agree. I'd like to see hundreds of those built, just not sure I'd trade 20 Catalysts for the Guardian Towers ;) I would trade the next downtown office tower for any number of Catalysts tho.

Back