Calgary Cancer Centre | 75m | 14s | Province of Alberta | Stantec

Interesting name, and good on that guy to donate 50 mil. I’m curious to see what it ends up being called in the end, I’ve heard lots of people call the Tom Baker Cancer Centre of the Baker Centre. But calling this the Child centre sounds like some hospital for children or something.
He's been dead for 30 years. Can't wait for the name to be cancelled when it comes out that he provided much of the money to start the Reform Party and also funded an anti-bilingualism initiative (Alliance for the Preservation of English in Canada).

Anti-linguist. Can't have that! There's niothing more evil than the peasants rising up against Turdeau's Quebec fifedom.

The 80s were weird. No party held what we would characterize as near modern views. Donors even leading ones aren’t responsible for the excesses of those they support.

In any case, a foundation donating 10-15 years of revenue is a good thing. We have lots of names on buildings of people who did stuff not aligned with current views. A very small group don’t like this and most ignore them except in particular cases.

I have to imagine they at least did a search of easily accessible databases to identify any worst of the worst direct quotes.

Anti-linguist. Can't have that! There's niothing more evil than the peasants rising up against Turdeau's Quebec fifedom.
Bilingualism denial has got to attract the ire of the influential Karennial demographic. Will the Liberals threaten to hold back healthcare funding until the facility is named after a gender non-specific bird?

He's been dead for 30 years. Can't wait for the name to be cancelled when it comes out that he provided much of the money to start the Reform Party and also funded an anti-bilingualism initiative (Alliance for the Preservation of English in Canada).
Even though I was never a fan of the Reform party it shouldn’t matter that he was a contributor. It’s a non-factor.
I don’t know what the Alliance for Preservation of English is about, but every language has an alliance for the protection of a given language. Why they would need one for English, I don’t know but every language has one. Another non-factor.

Even though I was never a fan of the Reform party it shouldn’t matter that he was a contributor. It’s a non-factor.
I don’t know what the Alliance for Preservation of English is about, but every language has an alliance for the protection of a given language. Why they would need one for English, I don’t know but every language has one. Another non-factor.
The alliance for preservation of English was more of an initiative against bilingualism, than for the preservation of English, but like @darwink said, those were different times. One also has to remember that Quebec was fully pushing its French language laws which was more or less anti-bilingualism but against English. Some of these groups were formed as a backlash against that.

Some night shots:
IMG_3442exp.jpg
IMG_3431exp.jpg
IMG_3448exp.jpg
IMG_3450exp.jpg
IMG_3407_3412exp.jpg
IMG_3400exp.jpg
IMG_3424exp.jpg

Bilingualism denial has got to attract the ire of the influential Karennial demographic. Will the Liberals threaten to hold back healthcare funding until the facility is named after a gender non-specific bird?
It was a different time. Just like today we laugh at the news clips of people professing their hatred for mandatory seatbelt laws. Some things seemed like a big deal and weren't.

I am surprised that they’ve already spent thousand of dollars on a “Calgary Cancer Centre” sign when it was recently announced that the building will be named after a donor, so they will have to change it and spend more money to do so?
I'd imagine they can keep the "Cancer Centre" portion and just add the rest of it to the front. These donations also materialize over time, they probably did not anticipate having to rename it and it's not like all healthcare facilities receive a donation. Would be the same if we just left the Alberta Children's Hospital without a sign until someone came along to donate money.

Back