Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I still think of Houston as the front-runner for a new team due to the arena owner stating he would like an NHL team, and because the NHL would like a team in that large market, but Salt Lake isn't out of the realm of possibilities, and tbh, would probably support the team well - maybe better than any other market aside from Quebec.

Last edited:
I like the history so I don't like when teams are renamed due to a relocation. The team would not be named Lakers if it was founded in Los Angeles. They are synonymous with Los Angeles now. The history in Minnesota is not completely lost.

I don't think Quebec is that high on the list. Same with a second run in Montreal for Major League Baseball.

Arizona Coyotes will probably have a last-ditch effort to find a future venue, but I think if they don't find something official in the next couple of months, they will head to Utah. Salt Lake City stays in the same division, and will likely have a brand new arena + more since they will win the 2030 Winter Olympics. Fast growing market, and already has decent hockey interest. Salt Lake is already pushing for MLB expansion too. It makes for a great relocation spot.

Since AZ plays in Mullet still, they don't have to panic and have time to think it thru, but I doubt the players will wanna play for 5 years in this arena. Probably the end of AZ.

Houston will likely be an expansion. They have the money for a huge expansion fee for the league. Judging how well the on-ice performance and marketing have gone for expansion teams, Houston/Atlanta will likely go that route.

If Quebec City was west then they would've had a chance probably, but they are out east :( , hopefully they get an expansion team in the next 2 decades as NHL needs more Canadian teams.

If people had any self control they would just stop attending live sporting events/shows. I don't blame them for jacking up prices when they know people will continuously pay. I wonder how long Edwards would keep prices high if average attendance fell to 3000 a game.

Personally I'm quite disgusted with pro sports and the cost of concerts these days. I thought about buying tickets to Iron Maiden but when I saw their cheapest seats I decided no thanks. Same with AEW wrestling that's coming in July. I hope both shows have half empty arenas. I wish more people would vote with their wallet and stop attending shows. Maybe then the whole industry could be reset and bring prices back down. $1000 tickets to see taylor Swift? Get bent!

There must be a lot of money around Calgary these days. I haven't been to a hockey game where I paid for the ticket in at least a dozen years, and can't recall the last time I went to a concert.

If people had any self control they would just stop attending live sporting events/shows.
Why do I need "self-control"? So I can sit at home watching my neighbor's Netflix all night? So I can find the perfect Groupon to take my wife out for an anniversary dinner?

Avoiding live events doesn't give you "self-control". All it means is you have other priorities, which is fine.

There must be a lot of money around Calgary these days. I haven't been to a hockey game where I paid for the ticket in at least a dozen years, and can't recall the last time I went to a concert.
I'm of the same persuasion. I don't enjoy live events to the point I would spend more than tens of dollars to attend one of any type. I'd rather do things than watch other people do them.

To be fair to the Flames, they are near the bottom of the league w.r.t. ticket prices. A lot of that has to do with the arena itself and the overall game day experience, but honestly, in comparison to other teams, Flames games are affordable. I’ve seen more Leafs games while living in Calgary for 5 years than I did living in Toronto for 10. All of this will change when the new rink opens of course, as they’ll jack up the prices to pay for it.

So the owners are gonna get a huge subsidy from various levels of government to help pay for the thing and are still going to increase ticket prices?!?! 😵‍💫Imagine ticket prices if they had to pay for a larger share of the cost!!!! 😯

Back