Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Is it not a completely different design or do you mean the fact that if you look at the old layout: All that changes is it turns 90 degrees, gets a community rink where the plaza was and a mixed use tower where the parking structure was?

It’s still a hockey arena. Work that was done for the rink, most of the seating, most of the box suites and a lot of the below the scenes like locker room, training, medical in simplistic terms just rotates 90 degrees. Then some elements like the Stampede Trail side restaurants and team store get reused. Washroom and concessions in some instances don’t need new layout from scratch. They just move to the benefit of the concourse levels that were constrained by the previous tighter site.

Then everything between the seating bowl and the roadway gets reworked. New roof design. New parkade layout. New service accesses. New concourse layouts.

They could easily retain the exterior finish intention in just a new massing form. That would reduce architectural costs and time by some %. Negligible amounts maybe, hard to say from my mouse hole.

I don’t know how far detailed drawings/engineering actually got on the last iteration there but surely a lot of leg work to determine verticality, structural spans, and not just a plan.

However if it’s known for certain that it’ll be a full fresh start with a new team then ignore the above.

She only won due to Stephen Carter, the master of divide, conquer, annoy then run.
Her win was more of timing and opportunity. At the start of the campaigning she didn't have much traction at all, but she had some name recognition and Farkas was the candidate who stood out. As time went on she picked up all the 'anyone but Farkas' votes. Literally every person I know who voted for her voted strategically because they didn't want Farkas in.

Her win was more of timing and opportunity. At the start of the campaigning she didn't have much traction at all, but she had some name recognition and Farkas was the candidate who stood out. As time went on she picked up all the 'anyone but Farkas' votes. Literally every person I know who voted for her voted strategically because they didn't want Farkas in.
They built that opportunity for Gondek. Kept other people out of the viability game. It was masterful, but Farkas' COVID votes did him in.

Speaking of Jeromy.. following his "charity image rehabilitation walking tour", I see he's back commenting on local politics now.

Only a matter of time before he transitions to political pundit and then to Mayoral candidate.

The event centre page on the city website was updated with new district renders https://www.calgary.ca/major-projects/event-centre.html?redirect=/eventcentreView attachment 472097

Is it just me or did the green line station get moved in this map? It's supposed to be a block north, with the line coming in parallel to the main line across the elbow river and only tunneling southbound after stampede trail, right?

So does this plan make substantial changes to the alignment, or did whoever made this map? Just make a mistake?

I see this morning that Notley has come out against-ish the deal. Says there's hidden costs. She's not wrong, it seems the city foots the bill for any overages. Could a provincial election turn into a plebiscite for the calgary arena? Whoever is advising Notley, should've told her to give a non-committal answer. UCP could hammer her as anti-calgary and trying to buy votes. When really UCP are buying votes. Wild next month ahead.

I see this morning that Notley has come out against-ish the deal. Says there's hidden costs. She's not wrong, it seems the city foots the bill for any overages. Could a provincial election turn into a plebiscite for the calgary arena? Whoever is advising Notley, should've told her to give a non-committal answer. UCP could hammer her as anti-calgary and trying to buy votes. When really UCP are buying votes. Wild next month ahead.
I still don't think it will impact the election beyond as a distraction.

The NDP needs to offer something other than regurgitating past statements by Smith or her candidates. I'm waiting for the NDP "revelation" of some UCP candidate's 2007 Facebook post as a high school student as "proof" that the UCP harbors extremists, racists, misogynists, whatever

The NDP needs to offer something other than regurgitating past statements by Smith or her candidates. I'm waiting for the NDP "revelation" of some UCP candidate's 2007 Facebook post as a high school student as "proof" that the UCP harbors extremists, racists, misogynists, whatever
Agree on the arena.

Doesn't seem they're doing 'past statements' this time around. Statements are circulating but if they're the source they're doing a good job seeding them with others rather than using an MLA press conference every day to do it.

This isn't the right thread for a lefty circlejerk.

As anticipated, there is going to be a complete restart on the design. Potentially with a completely new team at the helm.

That 4-8 timeline for design/permitting is bananas though, especially considering they still need to hire a development manager.

Transcribed courtesy topfiverecords on CP - this is from John Bean on Flames Talk:

• Site increased from 7 acres to 10 acres thanks to Stampede land swap negotiations
  • All parties wanted a community arena in previous iteration but couldn't fit it in the 7 acres
  • Indoor gathering plaza will allow loading the building out of the elements
  • Outdoor plaza will act as Red Lot
  • "New" road and intersection on the SE of the Stampede grounds connecting to 25th
  • Lane reversal systems
  • Cost overruns on arena/community rink shared 50-50 with City & CSEC
  • Starting with $850 million a more realistic number than previous deal
  • Design will find opportunities to save on these numbers
  • Formal agreements starting Friday
  • Development manager to oversee entire construction needs to be hired
  • Design team and construction management team hired after development manager
  • 32-34 months of construction from break ground to building opening
  • 36-40 months +/- from now [woah! nah that's too quick for hiring/design/permits/procuring]
  • Some of the work already done should be able to transfer over

Back