Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
or maybe a hybrid scenario, where the bury a portion of the parking and leave some above grade.

I have no problem with an offsite parkade directly across the street with some ground level retail built into it. Preferably to the south east or east side of the new arena.

I'd like a parkade built under the festival plaza that is planned to be built directly south of the new arena (where the current Stampede HQ is.) I doubt that the Stampede are going to be the third party investor because they are struggling with money after 2 years of covid. My guess is they were in the council meeting because the arena is planned to be built on Stampede land. The land swap agreement with the city was part of the previous arena agreement which is now void.

"I think the Stampede may be one of [if not the main] 3rd party being hinted at here. New Stampede CEO and a VP were at the in-camera session with council"

3rd party as in investor? The Calgary Stampede is a non-profit organization and they have taken a big hit financially over the last 2 years. Other than borrowing a few hundred million, how could they possibly be an investor?

It would likely require more capital from the city side, where they would also take a much bigger cut of the ticket tax...which accounts for the bulk of CSEC's contribution.

Per the original 2019 infographic the city's 2% share of the ticket tax was supposed to generate $155M over the term of the deal...presumably CSEC's 6% cut delivering them $465M (their cut later increased to 7.5% of 9.5% on non sporting events).

Of course this all depends on sales projections that may/may not be very accurate, especially given COVID.

Picking this back up... The city's investigation of other potential partners to help build a new arena and specifically the report on the findings is expected to return to council in March. Do we have any further clarity on when in March we're going to get this report?

Thanks to Ryan Pike, I got my answer. Looks like its before council next week:

"Next week’s council meeting will have some action on the arena. The Event Centre Assessment Committee will be re-instituted, and we’ll get an update on the City appointing a third party to work with the Flames and other groups on potential deal structures (which, in turn, would be assessed by the committee).

We’ll see how much progress has been made since January."

Thanks to Ryan Pike, I got my answer. Looks like its before council next week:

"Next week’s council meeting will have some action on the arena. The Event Centre Assessment Committee will be re-instituted, and we’ll get an update on the City appointing a third party to work with the Flames and other groups on potential deal structures (which, in turn, would be assessed by the committee).

We’ll see how much progress has been made since January."
Personally, I stay up at night day dreaming about a partnership with Oakview Group... I don't know them that well I just know their arena's in New York and Seattle look like great designs.

Last edited:
I went to see a Kraken game earlier this year and that arena is jaw dropping, on the smaller side but beautiful nonetheless.
Smaller is better IMO, not Coyotes at ASU small but the days of 19k+ are over I'd say. Building big "events centres" cost a ton, making them smaller will save money. Attendance for sports that aren't the NFL are declining, why would you build seats you can't fill. Pro sports is not something most people can go to that often. It's a special event, smaller venues make it feel more intimate and special. Plus when you make it a special event people are willing to spend more on food, merchandise, etc. I also have nothing to back this up, so could be wrong.

My favourite arena is the one that hosts the Spengler Cup in Davos. Its small, and covered in wood. Spectacular!

Smaller is better IMO, not Coyotes at ASU small but the days of 19k+ are over I'd say. Building big "events centres" cost a ton, making them smaller will save money. Attendance for sports that aren't the NFL are declining, why would you build seats you can't fill. Pro sports is not something most people can go to that often. It's a special event, smaller venues make it feel more intimate and special. Plus when you make it a special event people are willing to spend more on food, merchandise, etc. I also have nothing to back this up, so could be wrong.

My favourite arena is the one that hosts the Spengler Cup in Davos. Its small, and covered in wood. Spectacular!
Agreed. The Davos arena is a beauty.

Back