Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Here are the Official seating capacities:

Arena seating capacity.png

Last edited:
Construction! how many pages will this thread be on opening day?
This thread is already one of thje busiest thrads with over 132K views, and there hasn't even been a construction start. Outside of the main construcion or proposals thread, I think this will be the most viewed thread in a year or two's time.

Last edited:
I really dont see the huge hate on the project. Like sure the arena is not beautiful, but it is not ugly either. Most arenas are mostly cookie cutter or try to blend in with their environement (especially with our budget). Like sure it is not unique in anyway, but I like the urban design aspect of having an entertainemnt district with bars, clubs, restaurants and plazas. Having residential nearby. The Saddledome besides being uniquly shaped is not amazing at all. It is surrounded by massive parking lots and 17th or Stephen Ave are not close enought to be considered apart of the environment. Literally any vibrancy dies the second you leave the arena. The new project at least from an urban design is trying to make it less car centric and create an area that people like to hangout regardless.

I agree they should,ve done a better job with the arena and probably like whole area in general, but it will be light years ahead of what the Saddledome and its surrounding area had to offer imo. This area will connect nicely to EV at least and create an area once considered a dead zone to be vibrant. The Saddledome always seemed to be kinda in the middle of nowhere unless it was Stampede. Maybe if we had a bigger budget and the Flames had a less cheap ownership group a better project would've been proposed but that is not the case. Maybe im in the minority, but I dont think many arenas around the NBA and NHL are anymore unique looking than this one. Im just glad the urban desgn is not complete garbage like the Saddledome was.

As for skyline, besides Scottsman Hill, idk where you can really see the Saddledome as a part of it. I wish we could keep it and give the dome another function, but it is what it is. Maybe we should add soem sort of ferris wheel like Seattle or London to add something unique to our skyline lmao.

Back