Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I'm well aware there was some retail along 12th, I think the person was implying that the retail was expanded on 12th. I'm not sure either way, but I'm hoping they made some changes to the design. The person who made the post said that the arena looked MUCH better than the initial renderings. They are someone involved in architecture so take that for whatever it's worth.

The retail has always been there, it's just obscured by the trees in the rendering. If you look they even have some patio tables an all that in the render. I think there should have been as much retail facing 12 as there is on 4th, but there may be concerns about how much this area could actually support.
The problem I think is squeezing it in in the current footprint. the site is pretty tight looking at everything squeezed in in the higher res DP of the main floor

I didn't see this in earlier posts, so I apologize in advance is this was discussed earlier, but does anyone know when they are expected to break ground?

Indeed. He's already confirmed that the project will go ahead if he becomes mayor. That should not come as a surprise as CSEC would be rallying behind a candidate like they were last election if they thought the project was in jeopardy.
Remember the mayor is only one vote on city council, albeit a very influential vote. Farkas did not think the arena deal was a good one for the city. He made some overtures about how shady the negotiations were ... again with no proof. He would have to sway other city councillors to his way of thinking if there was any thought of throwing a wrench in things.

He has said in forums that if he wins, the arena deal will still proceed, along with the Greenline and the other capital projects already on the go (BMO, Arts Common, Field House). A deal is a deal, it will be his responsibility as mayor to ensure they are executed as efficiently and responsibly as possible.

01algaryeventcentreOct25.png

02calgaryeventcentreOct25.png

03calgaryeventcentreOct25.png

04calgaryeventcentreOct25.png

05calgaryeventcentreOct25.png

06calgaryeventcentreOct25.png

Last edited:

Back