Calgary City Centre West Tower | 132.28m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I wasn't necessarily thinking of high-end rentals but rather any kind of rentals. I know there's a heavy amount of rental development going on right now but it apparently they are filling up the units.

The hotel is meant to be a high end property so any residential should follow suit to take full advantage of each other.

There's very little money in any kind of rentals. Demand is not enough to encourage building. For this reason, a number of municipalities have enacted a rental replacement program in the past when it comes to redevelopment of rental properties for condo, etc. The current rental building boom that extends across Canada and the US isn't just about filling units. That's just a bonus.

The change to allow office instead of residential took place in 2015/2016 as part of a land use redesignation for the parcel. If I recall, the CA for Eau Claire was opposed to this, as the Eau Claire ARP was calling for more residential, and they were worried that allowing office would make the area more of a "dead zone" in the evenings and weekends.

The council vote took place on March 7, 2016. It was item 7.14 for the meeting, and the minutes (with Video I believe) can be found here:
http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2051&doctype=MINUTES

If the residential buildings planned for Eau Claire Market (1000 units) and Eau Claire West (1100 units) ever get built, plus The Concord & the rest of Parkside/Waterfront, there will be plenty more residential added to that community in the next 5 years. That should result in 4000+ more people.

Would be nice to see all those residential projects for Eau Claire come to fruition, and also see a moratorium, on office space.

The change to allow office instead of residential took place in 2015/2016 as part of a land use redesignation for the parcel. If I recall, the CA for Eau Claire was opposed to this, as the Eau Claire ARP was calling for more residential, and they were worried that allowing office would make the area more of a "dead zone" in the evenings and weekends.

The council vote took place on March 7, 2016. It was item 7.14 for the meeting, and the minutes (with Video I believe) can be found here:
http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2051&doctype=MINUTES
Thanks for digging that up MichaelS. I'm not great at reading those types of docs, but it appears Only 5 people were against the land use change (Farrell, Pincott, Carra, Nenshi, and Woolley)

I hope we don't get more of this in the future. Eau claire really needs more residential.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see all those residential projects for Eau Claire come to fruition, and also see a moratorium, on office space.

Thanks for digging that up MichaelS. I'm not great at reading those types of docs, but it appears Only 5 people were against the land use change (Farrell, Pincott, Carra, Nenshi, and Woolley)

I hope we don't get more of this in the future. Eau claire really needs more residential.
I'd like to think I am okay at reading those documents, but that was extremely confusing when I look at the minutes for that section. Looks very complicated, and it was clear that Councillor Farrel was not in favour of the change. Anyway, it certainly did appear to be contentious, and didn't have unanimous support from Council, but it got passed, and that is that.

I'd like to think I am okay at reading those documents, but that was extremely confusing when I look at the minutes for that section. Looks very complicated, and it was clear that Councillor Farrel was not in favour of the change. Anyway, it certainly did appear to be contentious, and didn't have unanimous support from Council, but it got passed, and that is that.
So it's not just me lol. I read through a few times and still couldn't figure out what it all meant. I'm glad you were able to make sense of it. It's a shame it turned out that way, but if it stops there I can be okay with that. My fear is that it comes to this every time a developer wants to build an office tower in Eau Claire.

I wouldn't plan for it if I was Cadillac Fairview. There's always the chance the oil companies won't return to the free spending boom years and an office over supply will persist long after oil is booming once again.

Here's a suite of new renders, courtesy of Zeidler :)

https://zeidler.com/projects/calgary-city-centre-phase-2/

01_calgary-city-centre-phase-2.jpg

02_calgary-city-centre-phase-2.jpg

03_calgary-city-centre-phase-2.jpg

04_calgary-city-centre-phase-2.jpg

If it was all office, I'd be very disappointed. The hotel isn't bad for the area, it'll provide more vibrancy than the office tower next door. The intersection at 2nd street and 3rd ave should be officially named 'the dead zone'.

@UrbanWarrior Good find on all these recent renderings.

Last edited:
If it was all office, I'd be very disappointed. The hotel isn't bad for the area, it'll provide more vibrancy than the office tower next door. The intersection at 2nd street and 3rd ave should be officially named 'the dead zone'.

@UrbanWarrior Good find on all these recent renderings.

Thanks bro. It feels like Christmas :D

So is the hotel back in play ?
It was always part of the DP, but sounds like it is contingent on the office space getting built. I was told at the time the DP was submitted that the hotel was in play, and they were considering building the office portion without a tenant just to get the hotel going, while the office market picked up. If they haven't done it by now, it's not likely they'll do it anytime soon.

Back