Calgary City Centre West Tower | 132.28m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Originally planned as Residential + Hotel, the tower was redesigned slightly and a new Development Permit was submitted in 2015. The new design is Hotel + Office space, with the first 22 floors designed for office, and the next 10 floors as Hotel Space.

The bottom 22 office floors will have large office sized floor plates with the hotel portion having smaller floor plates.

Original design. The new design is very similar, with the hotel portion (lower podium) being taken out and moved to the top of the tower. The tower moved a bit more to the west (right). The lower 20 floor plates are larger, and the thinner upper portion is now 10 floors instead of 6.
City Centre II.jpg

Calgary City Centre IIa.jpg

Attachments

• City Centre II.jpg
    City Centre II.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,519
  • Calgary City Centre IIa.jpg
    Calgary City Centre IIa.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 3,676
Last edited:
Any renderings? Supposedly they are going ahead with the hotel but if the hotel is on the top 10 floors, then they would have to build the office portion first, which doesn't seem to make sense in today's economy.

No renderings available on-line yet, but I can tell you that it looks very similar to the original design, but the glass is lighter (something requested by Druh).

Yes, the office space and hotel would be built together at the same time. It does seem surprising, but CF says that the project is a long term deal and thus are prepared for possibly empty office space. They haven't said this to me, so I'm just guessing, but who knows they may even have some tenants.

So the hotel portion is definitely on top though? I recall the hotel being a bout 5-6 floors of wide podium with the residential portion on top.

Hotel portion definitely on top of office space. Office space will go ahead in order for hotel to be built. The wide podium on bottom is gone, and the podium now looks like the podium on the east tower.

Cool thanks! I'm glad the hotel is going in. I prefer the residential over office, but if that's what it takes to get the hotel, I'm okay with it.

Interesting that they are swapping out residential for office. I was under the impression that the office market in Calgary has weakened due to the fall in oil prices. Is residential a hard sell downtown?

Interesting that they are swapping out residential for office. I was under the impression that the office market in Calgary has weakened due to the fall in oil prices. Is residential a hard sell downtown?

From what I've heard the idea is to build the office portion and leave it unfinished, so they can build the hotel portion on top. The vacancy rate is terrible, but I've been told they are looking at this long term, and the office space will be AA space, which tends to get eaten up fast when things do pickup.

I wonder what the lease is like for the Old Spaghetti Factory, like I wonder how long the developer has to give them to close up shop.

The last time I ate there (about two months ago) the decor was really dated and worn. I suspect they are just waiting for it to happen. Often landlords will get to point where they give tenants a month to month or quarterly lease.

I haven't seen this before, thanks for posting. Any idea when construction is to start?

Back