Calgary Cancer Centre | 75m | 14s | Province of Alberta | Stantec

118067571_715036469343356_8015111929232561580_n.jpg

Source: www.instagram.com/p/CEKArKyp45x/

Was the new parking garage built to withstand the inevitable construction of a building on that location? Or will it have to be demolished again or upgraded to support one in the future?

Was the new parking garage built to withstand the inevitable construction of a building on that location? Or will it have to be demolished again or upgraded to support one in the future?
With the new cancer centre being completed I imagine phasing now looks entirely different than the last time the public saw a master plan ~15 years ago. The old cancer centre could absorb services (and maybe administration) from the oldest buildings. These east sites plus the south side lot in the slope that the community rejected for parking would be prime candidate sites for a replacement of the main tower. The university also proposes a $1 billion rebuild of the medical school (over 20 years) which requires another tower to be built to provide space to empty about 1/4 of the original med school at a time.
6ADBDEF1-2297-487A-A309-661BAA53B206.jpeg

A few pics from last week; it's hard to take photos from ground level, this thing is so big.
This is the corner right on 29th, so I'm guessing an entrance sort of area; perhaps with pull-in space for cars under the building.

20201125_092803.jpg

A bit more perspective; this thing is a monster.
20201125_093405.jpg

This I assume is a connection to the main hospital complex; interestingly, it is bypassing the U of C part of the campus over top of the old helipad.
20201125_092419.jpg

A few pics from last week; it's hard to take photos from ground level, this thing is so big.
This is the corner right on 29th, so I'm guessing an entrance sort of area; perhaps with pull-in space for cars under the building.

View attachment 286114
A bit more perspective; this thing is a monster.
View attachment 286115
This I assume is a connection to the main hospital complex; interestingly, it is bypassing the U of C part of the campus over top of the old helipad.
View attachment 286116
It’s a massive 2-storey link to connect 3 different buildings on levels 2 and 3. There are two passageways on each floor—one for public, and one dedicated for staff. This ‘link’ is a whole project in itself. The pic above is actually a little building that will be accessible from grade—basically a T-intersection to connect to Health Sciences Centre. It will contain its own stairwell and elevators. It will even have a mech room.

Last edited:
1607103193874.png

1607103485896.png

It also includes a pneumatic tube system for moving mail and presumably samples and drugs around, and provisions for a future vendor kiosk. It has far fewer windows than we would normal expect for a walkway like this to dramatically increase its energy performance.

Yeah the exterior already looks like ass. Oh well, in this case it’s function that matters most. It’s a hospital not a museum so it’s decent design wise.

two ends with the huge cantilevers - i wonder how they made it work without thick transfer slab at the lowest level- didn't drive by this often when it was being built-dang

Back