Calgary Cancer Centre | 75m | 14s | Province of Alberta | Stantec

Nice to see the supports removed from under the portion that extends out to the east. Construction will extend approximately 100' up on that cantilevered portion, so a lot more building yet to come.

This building, cumulatilvely, will be a lot larger than the foothills hospital main building. It should also drive development strongly in the area, not only the Stadium Shopping Centre (and am looking forward to an area development plan that can help map that out).

Saw this in person yesterday and was blown away by the massive scale of it. Pictures and renderings don't do it justice. It's almost the size of the South Health Campus.

A tad smaller, maybe 500,000 square feet less? It has more open air enclosed space though so it is a bit hard to judge from the outside. Still huge at 1.3-1.4 million square feet.

Also nice to see the brick facade going up on the east side of the building. They have had a section of it up for a couple of weeks now. Maybe for testing? I think it looks good though.

A tad smaller, maybe 500,000 square feet less? It has more open air enclosed space though so it is a bit hard to judge from the outside. Still huge at 1.3-1.4 million square feet.

The foothills main tower is under 800,000 square feet, and this is what I was referring to - IE the new cancer centre is much larger even by the sf measure. Foothills hospital data (as opposed to the foothills main tower) includes other buildings such as the special services building and McCaig tower - cumulatively this is more than the new building (this is I suspect what you were referring to).

Of course, the cancer centre also has many, many floors below grade (which doesn't get included in the above grade sf) including 1,600+ parking.

It is always best to refer to the post a person is replying to, before replying to their post. In order to avoid confusion.

Also, welcome to the forum!

I wonder how much of it is going to sit empty, given the amount of layoffs and hours being cut back. People at AHS tell me that MRI machines, etc. are just sitting idle because of all the budget cuts. Not enough people available to actually use them.

Yeah, this building will be massive. It's already quite noticeable even from downtown.

Welcome to the forum!
Nice to see the supports removed from under the portion that extends out to the east. Construction will extend approximately 100' up on that cantilevered portion, so a lot more building yet to come.

This building, cumulatilvely, will be a lot larger than the foothills hospital main building. It should also drive development strongly in the area, not only the Stadium Shopping Centre (and am looking forward to an area development plan that can help map that out).

I wonder how much of it is going to sit empty, given the amount of layoffs and hours being cut back. People at AHS tell me that MRI machines, etc. are just sitting idle because of all the budget cuts. Not enough people available to actually use them.
No plans for layoffs right now, and by law they have to give notice of layoffs above a certain number. Certainly I could see less overtime and casual hours, especially as AHS tries to hit the end of year targets (it is March after all). Doesn't really mean much. I suspect it is pretty rare to see the machines running at full tilt.

As for sitting empty, given the difficulty of finding money later to outfit things, it might be more of a situation of a space that can fit 10 chairs, only having 6 at the start, rather than leaving 30% of the space only shelled.

I remember when the pit was being dug up, it was massive. You could fit an underground city into it lol. Welcome Suburbian.

IMG_20200229_090147.jpg

Back