BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

A while ago someone on here stated that several hotel projects were ready to go following BMO expansion. Is there anything more to this?

I don't know about "several" but one has been mentioned to be in the works for the NW corner of the BMO Centre parking lot I believe.

A while ago someone on here stated that several hotel projects were ready to go following BMO expansion. Is there anything more to this?
Things are relative - the timeline for completion of BMO is long, and some of the most baked nearby concepts flopped on their secondary uses (the ClubSport). Since the hotel on site will be the primary competitor, and they all have time to wait, they'll work in the background until they can ensure they aren't just creating a diet coke compared to the coke of the on grounds hotel.

Last edited:
Populous does some pretty interesting stuff. Should be more interesting than the current BMO centre buildings.
CMLC and Calgary Stampede Announce Project Team to Lead BMO Centre Expansion
https://www.calgarymlc.ca/news-full...nce-project-team-to-lead-bmo-centre-expansion

Populous, Stantec and S2 is the design team. Populous has done a ton of convention centres, so there's great experience there. The Stantec / S2 partnership is still confusing; I've known about that for months and I still chuckle at it.

Christ it firggin better be. Can't imagine literally anything less interesting than the current BMO buildings, architecturally speaking. Maybe the Lubyanka? Or Edmonton's Venetian must take the cake, but only slightly.

How it turns out will depend on the Stampede board. Populous has done some good stuff, as well as stuff that would fit right in with the Stampede. Granted these are for smaller cities, but again it depends on what the Stampede wants.

Fits right ion with the last expansion.
POP_70_1810_27_N70_medium.jpg

This one is better than what's there now, but still.....
POP_01_0391_00_N21_medium.jpg

I really hope we don't get any more Stampitecture.

Based on the choice of Populous and some of the early conceptual renderings, I have hope that they will go with something more innovative and daring than what is currently there.

bmo-png.166078

Populous will be the design lead with Stantec/S2 being more of the supporting technical and architect of record roles. It will also include site plan works too where one of the local offices will undertake.

That is excellent to hear. When I heard Stantec was involved I was a bit worried. But Populous is solid AF.

Back