BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

I like the whole idea of what they are trying to do. My one change would be to try and have 17th ave extended into the grounds and come through the centre of the BMO centre, and then angle right in toward a future arena. Might not be possible, but it would be a more organic passage, and also come right into the corner of a new arena. Could be pretty cool.

View attachment 166146
Adding on to this, most of these plans can easily be done without having to tear any part of the stampede grounds down. Parking can be placed underground and that will free up enough of the Stampede grounds to clear the way for foot traffic to make the entire place a pedestrian walking paradise. Like the space is already there, almost no part of the stampede is too crowded with current buildings for that. City planners just need to stop being so trigger-happy with demolition and maybe think "how can we improve Calgary as it already is without removing the little history and culture the city has" instead of "how can we make Calgary a shittier version of Vancouver/Toronto/any modern city in NA by bulldozing the whole place"

Too bad they can't re-purpose the Saddledome for something.

It's a unique design and an architectural icon of Calgary.

I agree completely. It has architectural value now and should even more so in 65 years when it will be 100!. There must be some 'post-hockey' purpose that makes more sense than the astronomical cost of tear down and removal.

Last edited:
Sort of a joke and sort of not. Turn the Saddledome into the world's largest indoor skateboard park :cool::cool::cool:
Yah, it's crazy, but on one hand imagine the amount of skaters that come from around the world to do it. Could be a catalyst for a niche market tourism industry.
Maybe it's possible. It would be uber cool if part of the seats could stay in place and other sections replaced with half pipes and ramps etc.. You may be able to use it for BMX/dirtbike stuff also. Maybe it can become a sort of palace for the X-sports?

im def out of step, to me its a gaudy community rink on steriods. looks cheap and has no posterity. if i was saving a rink it would be the corral.

with apologies to all those postcards out there.

im def out of step, to me its a gaudy community rink on steriods. looks cheap and has no posterity. if i was saving a rink it would be the corral.

giphy.gif

with apologies to all those postcards out there.
It's unique enough that some people will love it and some will hate it.

I've always appreciated the form of the Saddledome, but the exterior materials are pretty hideous.

So glad to see a general plan toward development of Victoria Park, and a plan to open up the Stampede grounds to 17th ave. IMO, making a new entrance there would be a game changer for downtown Calgary and area. So many tourists could head off in the direction of 17th ave and get to see the better parts of downtown area instead of them leaving the grounds out Macleod and back to their hotel in the CBD.

Will clarify,

The Hall F which is not shown will be the first one to go as I believe there is a DP already in the city. That will fully build out the BMO center from its 2006 design.
That picture does look more and more like the Corral replacement at the back of house. It will be pretty sweet, though that is a early on design proposal by GGA it'll be pretty awesome if it goes thru based on the original visions. Stampede does want to modernize away from the stampitecture and this one is big and detached enough from the main facility that they are more open to the daring approaches.
All in all, huge huge changes that will really boost the profile of the BMO center and the city's overall convention capabilities. Can't wait to see more..

I agree completely. It has architectural value now and should even more so in 65 years when it will be 100!. There must be some 'post-hockey' purpose that makes more sense than the astronomical cost of tear down and removal.
This seems pretty obvious. This city already hosts a giant rodeo for ten days every year, along with several notable horse and cow related events. A few minutes of very serious Google related research assures me that rodeo related fun is a year-round, surprisingly popular and profitable enterprise. Winter is our geographical achilles heel. Nobody is wrastlin' a steer on the Grandstand tarmac in January.

We will soon have a giant, vacant building shaped like a SADDLE. Convert it into the world Mecca of rodeo. A great, dirt-filled Colosseum of all things cowpoke. 365 days a year of non-stop boot-scootin', dip-spittin', shit-kickin' glory. Line the concourse with barbecue pits, tack peddlers, and belt buckle shops.

Now, some stats about something.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/About-Us/Who-We-Are/Attendance

I have some anecdotal news. I walk to work several times a week, and my route goes right through Stampede Park. About a year ago, there was a large area of excavation at the south end of the Victoria Park LRT ramp, opposite 17th ave. On one particular day, there was also a crew with a crane removing the "cowboy on a horse" sculpture at the same entrance to the park. I asked some of the workers what was going on, and they said they were clearing the way for the 17th ave extension through the park to the 4th St. underpass. They also mentioned that the removal of the Corral was necessary for that to happen.

I have many fond memories of the old Corral. I will miss her.
6801687.jpg
DSC00425 (3).JPG

This seems pretty obvious. This city already hosts a giant rodeo for ten days every year, along with several notable horse and cow related events. A few minutes of very serious Google related research assures me that rodeo related fun is a year-round, surprisingly popular and profitable enterprise. Winter is our geographical achilles heel. Nobody is wrastlin' a steer on the Grandstand tarmac in January.

We will soon have a giant, vacant building shaped like a SADDLE. Convert it into the world Mecca of rodeo. A great, dirt-filled Colosseum of all things cowpoke. 365 days a year of non-stop boot-scootin', dip-spittin', shit-kickin' glory. Line the concourse with barbecue pits, tack peddlers, and belt buckle shops.

Now, some stats about something.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/About-Us/Who-We-Are/Attendance
That would be an amazing idea and I'm sure if presented to the public, everyone would agree that that's what needs to happen, but some jerk-offs in high political and social positions, rubbing shoulders with high society will cry "BuT cAlGaRy NeEdS tO rEiNvEnT iTs ImAgE aNd ShOw HoW InNoVaTiVe AnD mOdErN iT iS"

Does anyone know if Victoria Park Station is going to be renovated as part of the 17th ave extension?

Back