BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Actual copper would oxidize, which is cool in moist climates, but turns into a dirty penny colour here. The Rocky Ridge YMCA looked amazing at first, now it looks kinda dingy.
Rocky Ridge is covered in a brass shingle product, but yes looked much different when new.

Is there a way to coat copper in some sort of clear coat so it doesn't oxidize and turn either green or dull brown but rather stay shiny?

I'm not familiar with all the various brand names, but I would think that copper colored product like an Alucobond panel would keep its copper look as long as it was cleaned once in a while. I know Alucobond has a color similar to copper but I thin there are other products with more of a copper look.

I don't know which product was used, but these are aluminum panels with a copper color.

exploratorium-museum-bernard-tschumi-architects-tianjin-urban-planning-design-institute-china-...jpg

T-Mobile arena is using metal shingles coated with valspar paint.

JRM_9188a.jpg
JRM_9188.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a way to coat copper in some sort of clear coat so it doesn't oxidize and turn either green or dull brown but rather stay shiny?
I'm sure it's possible, but the oxidation actually improves the perfrmance of the cladding by making it thicker and closing gaps so it's usually a desireable effect, especially on a roof.

I just really like the look of shiny copper. I wouldn’t mind the T-Mobile arena look with a few different shades thrown in.
I agree. I also think the copper color would create a nice contrast with the blue and green glass in our skyline. While losing the Saddledome with it's signature roof is not ideal, this could offset that a bit from views at Scotsman's Hill.

Hall A and the Coral are officially gone and the site is cleared. Hopefully construction begins shortly. I'll be curious to see how the manage the upgrades to the exterior/lobbies of halls B and C while keeping them open as part or this project as well.

IMG_20210402_1547062.jpg

Back