BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Either way it's an improvement.
New BMO Comparison.jpg

The issue is it's an improvement meant for the next 50 years or more, so I'd assume the architects would nail the effort of making this into a pedestrian-friendly concept. Calgary's always trying new fancy things to activate street life but the urban design basics from the pre 1940's is still unbeatable to this date.

I like the new version better. The original would have likely required a lot of spandrel glass to work with the interior programming. What I hate is the Stampitecture part in the background clashing with the new modern part.

The expansion of 17th should be nice for events, but I would expect there to be a gate and pay booth pretty much right away as soon as you cross McLeod, so on a normal day it won't really add much. Will make a great pedestrian connection for events though, so that alone is a win.

Based on what I've seen, there will not be a gate. This would defeat the entire connectivity premise that CMLC is trying to achieve. There is street front retail planned for this corridor. Hopefully they get rid of the pay booths on Olympic Way as well.
The only way this will work is if they eliminate parking on the Stampede Grounds, and that's a lot of revenue for them. I hope you're right, but I'm skeptical.

Are the booths and gates really needed? Can't they just put in pay machines that give you a ticket to put in your windshield?

Windshield tickets is a high maintenance system for that volume of vehicles. Maybe they could do ParkPlus, but I imagine they just move a gate closer to the individual lot areas.

The only way this will work is if they eliminate parking on the Stampede Grounds, and that's a lot of revenue for them. I hope you're right, but I'm skeptical.
I imagine the parking lots will have their own gates, and traffic can flow freely along 17th all the time, i'm pretty sure that's the whole point

Reactions: Urb
Does someone have the latest Stampede master plan? Just curious if they show any detail how the streets will interact with the rest of the space.

Back