Beverly Mary Resort | 50m | 16s | Jayman | NORR

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Jayman is going big in Mahogany again, directly west of the Westman Village project. A massive, 8 building 950ish unit comprehensive rental project that will give Mahogany its own mini skyline. The DP drawings have been posted:

And, from what I have learned because I know the question will come up, Beverly Mary was the name of Jay Westman's mother, hence the name of this project. A tribute to her (which I think is nice).

Anyway, from the DP drawings:
1713203237332.png

1713203325940.png

1713203365160.png

1713203400282.png

1713203430803.png

1713203472691.png

Looks good for the most part, and is definitely better than the past suburban development, also it's decently near to an LRT station. That said, I get frustrated when I see massive projects like this built on the very outskirts of the city. This is why I'd like to see blanket zoning take place.
Not because we'll see this built in the inner city somewhere, but because a 100 small rowhome or 8 plex projects will do the same thing from a density point of view, but will spread it out efficiently.

Looks good for the most part, and is definitely better than the past suburban development, also it's decently near to an LRT station. That said, I get frustrated when I see massive projects like this built on the very outskirts of the city. This is why I'd like to see blanket zoning take place.
Not because we'll see this built in the inner city somewhere, but because a 100 small rowhome or 8 plex projects will do the same thing from a density point of view, but will spread it out efficiently.
Well it wont be far from a future LRT station. Once this is fully built out maybe a station will be in the process of getting built too in auburn bay.

I'm not getting a clear picture even with all the renderings. Looks like a gated community.

The plus side, an LRT station gives people an alternative to driving to the core. I hate that transit (in Toronto) is being used as a high density community builder and to justify over developed apartment subdivisions. Everyone needing to jump on a train for work or entertainment only looks good as a transit building return on investment. The worry is Vancouver has been shifting from quality transit oriented development to be more like Toronto's TOD planning and both those cities inspire development in Calgary.

At this rate Mahogany will have more of a skyline than Seton (even with the hospital). Brookfield shit the bed it seems developing their market street. It's finally seeing some action after 13 years but nothing so far is taller than 5 stories. The original conceptual art showed at least 1 highrise condo building and a couple more hotels. Mahogany also has way better retail choices than Seton. Brookfield only gets boring chain crap. Westman Village has a jazz club, Diner Deluxe, Analog and a pizza pub and other interesting vendors. Brookfield stacks their retail with cannabis stores, nail salons, boring chain restaurants and banks. Mahogany also just finished a central park with landscaping and trees and other amenities. Seton's "central park" is a grass field.

In any case this looks great! I love Westman Village and visit often with the family. There's fountains and courtyards and a cool park for the kids. It makes for a nice walk and feels like you're at a resort in Canmore or somewhere else.

PS where is this going? I thought it would be in the giant empty lot off 52nd but this looks like it's right across the street from Westman.

Last edited:
The problem in Seton is they built a typical power centre on the west side of the neighbourhood, so the demand for street front retail is quite low. They have a few decent sized multi family buildings in the area, but very little on front street. I was quite disappointed with the area when I was down there a couple weeks ago.

The problem in Seton is they built a typical power centre on the west side of the neighbourhood, so the demand for street front retail is quite low. They have a few decent sized multi family buildings in the area, but very little on front street. I was quite disappointed with the area when I was down there a couple weeks ago.
It has been disappointing. I am somewhat hopeful with the amount of construction ramping up there recently however. In another couple years it will hopefully feel fuller.

Jayman is going big in Mahogany again, directly west of the Westman Village project. A massive, 8 building 950ish unit comprehensive rental project that will give Mahogany its own mini skyline. The DP drawings have been posted:

And, from what I have learned because I know the question will come up, Beverly Mary was the name of Jay Westman's mother, hence the name of this project. A tribute to her (which I think is nice).

Anyway, from the DP drawings:
View attachment 556517
View attachment 556519
View attachment 556520
View attachment 556521
View attachment 556522
View attachment 556523
Wow this is a great addition to Mahogany. Jayman is fast becoming my favourite developer in the city.

If only more developments like this could happen closer to the inner city.

Back