Bethany Care Centre | 28m | 8s | Bethany Care | Zeidler

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
The redevelopment of the Bethany Care Centre in West Hillhurst has been submitted:

1704056190996.png

1704056227273.png

This proposal is way too big, way too tall, and completely inconsistent with the neighborhood. Agree that more care facilities needed, but this is ridiculous.

A classic NIMBY statement lol. There's always a "but."
I mean, this is hall of fame material. This 6 storey senior's housing? It's completely inconsistent with the neighbourhood. Way too big, way too tall!

What's next to it? ... a five storey senior's housing building that's been in the neighbourhood for 50 years and predates virtually every building that borders the site.
But what's on the other side? A bunch of multifamily housing, with four storey apartments.
No, what's in the more general area, like if you walked a few blocks north? 12 storey apartment towers.
I meant what if you walked a few blocks east? 5 to 9 storey apartment buildings.
Sorry, I meant what if you walked a few blocks south? 8 storey residential under construction.
Never mind the big picture; what's literally kitty corner to this building; it's so inconsistent with the neighbour?
1713828592927.png

Oh, yeah, that's completely different!

I have to disagree, yes you've got 7 stories at the tallest point with some of the wings being 5 or 6 stories sharing a site with 3 and 4 story care facilities, but as it is being built into the side of a hill the impact of that height is greatly reduced. Views from the top of the hill are minimally impacted, shadowing doesn't look like it will have any real impacts again due to the hill it is being built into and at that most of the shadowing falls onto the already existing care facility buildings. If I lived right across the street I wouldn't be happy but from a neighbourhood perspective and its location within an area of the city that is going to see continued densification I think it is a fairly decent fit.

As someone who lived in that neighbourhood for many years and grew up with the Bethany almost right next door, it is the perfect scale and for that area and very much welcomed.

I mean, this is hall of fame material. This 6 storey senior's housing? It's completely inconsistent with the neighbourhood. Way too big, way too tall!

What's next to it? ... a five storey senior's housing building that's been in the neighbourhood for 50 years and predates virtually every building that borders the site.
But what's on the other side? A bunch of multifamily housing, with four storey apartments.
No, what's in the more general area, like if you walked a few blocks north? 12 storey apartment towers.
I meant what if you walked a few blocks east? 5 to 9 storey apartment buildings.
Sorry, I meant what if you walked a few blocks south? 8 storey residential under construction.
Never mind the big picture; what's literally kitty corner to this building; it's so inconsistent with the neighbour?
View attachment 558396
Oh, yeah, that's completely different!
Yes need a new Bethany for sure. We agree on that.

Back