Votes: 11 78.6%
  • So So

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Very Good

• Terrible

• Total voters
I have to say, this one has turned out pretty well. It'll be nice when the construction fencing is gone from this one too.

This building's okay in the sense that it's not as bad as some of the suburban-style condos that surround it. However, I find this whole neighborhood to be one of the most haphazard and nonsensical areas of the core. Where is the centre? Every building seems to be oriented toward a different street. Every street seems to have a small, isolated section of retail. But no particular street or intersection serves as the focal point. Technically 8th Ave is supposed to be the "high street" according to the ARP, but it has virtually no retail.

Reactions: MJC
This building's okay in the sense that it's not as bad as some of the suburban-style condos that surround it. However, I find this whole neighborhood to be one of the most haphazard and nonsensical areas of the core. Where is the centre? Every building seems to be oriented toward a different street. Every street seems to have a small, isolated section of retail. But no particular street or intersection serves as the focal point. Technically 8th Ave is supposed to be the "high street" according to the ARP, but it has virtually no retail.

I agree with your critique. I think the real culprit is our pure-car focused transportation policy that makes every road around there all about width, capacity, and throughput, over the course of several decades. Effectively zero consideration for the pedestrian realm, local retail, sidewalks, or creating a main street at all will get you what we got in the West End.

A building that isn't inspired by a theme or architectural style from a bygone era is something this neighbourhood needed.

The West end is a wasted opportunity in many ways. CCBarnett is right though, it's though wide one way streets that are the biggest culprits. with those streets set up like freeways the neighborhood will always struggle.

Hi Group,
I haven't had a Chance to follow Up on this Project as I should have. Just wondering how well it has been doing. Also there was a Jewelry Store in the Areas for a while in a
House by 5/10 I Believe. Is It still Around?
Tnx,
Operater.

The Jewelry store at the corner of 5th Ave and 10th street has closed (did so a while ago I think). There is a sign on the door saying they located to another area (can't remember where). There is another jewelry store on 6th Ave, next to the Upper Deck pub and the Marquis building:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0481...312.89075&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

In terms of Avenue, it looks like they are getting close to finishing the first tower. Not sure when occupancy will occur, and there might already be some in the lower levels. I have not heard anything on when they plan to launch the second tower.

I don't know if timeless is the right word for Riverwest, but it is unique enough that it will always stand out. Even if dated, it won't matter as it will always be different.

Sort of like the Odyssey Apartments. Love them or hate them, the are unique enough that are kind of timeless in a way.

View attachment 98983
These plus the a-frames down the street give coach hill a lot if architectural character for a neighbourhood mainly built in the 80s/90s

Avenue looks OK, the colours and massing are fairly plain but at least it's not some faux historical building. Riverwest are my favourite buildings in the West End. The problem I have with that neighbourhood in general is that cars were seen as the main form of transportation when most of those buildings went up, so there is a cold and sterile streetscape there. I hope 8St and 8Ave can both add retail and have something that can actually bring people into the area. Right now, it's a dead zone. I hope West Village Towers get some good retail (rumours of a grocery store!) that will help turn the tide for the area.

Hi Group,
I Didn't realize those Two Tall Round Bldgs were called "River West". Been there a Few Times when I was in Courier Land. Know a Few People - Well Known but
Won't say Who They are to Protect Their Privacy.
Tnx,
Operater,

Anyone live in the new Avenue building? Would love to hear your feedback/experiences. I toured a unit a few days ago and the quality seems to be top notch, also love the heat pump in every unit.

Thank you in advance!

Back