Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
1549569519718.jpeg

1549569572663.jpeg

1549569618938.jpeg

1549569788371.jpeg

Wow, two misses in a row for East Village. This, The Hat, and the Hilton are huge failures in my mind. Love that Arris will be providing some much needed amenities and should really kick start the East Village, but in terms of design, epic failure. Looks like a cheap Lego. I'm surprised CMLC is allowing these kinds of designs to be permitted in the area. Personally, Evolution is my favorite condo complex in East Village and one of the best in the city. I wish the original Arris concept was built (brick warehouse looking podium).

If I had to rank all the East Village projects up until now it would be as follows:

Library
NMC
Evolution/First/XYC (based on renderings)
Alt Hotel
N2/Verve
Ink/Arris/Hilton

The Hat

I would mostly agree, except I like INK, and the Hilton is okay.

Wow, two misses in a row for East Village. This, The Hat, and the Hilton are huge failures in my mind. Love that Arris will be providing some much needed amenities and should really kick start the East Village, but in terms of design, epic failure. Looks like a cheap Lego. I'm surprised CMLC is allowing these kinds of designs to be permitted in the area. Personally, Evolution is my favorite condo complex in East Village and one of the best in the city. I wish the original Arris concept was built (brick warehouse looking podium).

If I had to rank all the East Village projects up until now it would be as follows:

Library
NMC
Evolution/First/XYC (based on renderings)
Alt Hotel
N2/Verve
Ink/Arris/Hilton

The Hat

I don't think I would change anything with the list. Ink has a funky design. The fit and finish is as bad as The Hat. I get why some like it and others don't.

Yeah I actually like the design of Ink a lot, it’s the cheap spandrel I don’t like. If there was more clear glass and only spots of coloured spandrel I would like it more. If they duplicated “Colours Condo” I would be much happier.

Just wait until they plaster the majority of it with digital advertising. Not the corner you posted by the looks of it, but a lot of the other walls are slated for it I think.
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/Direct-Control-Districts/2018/151D2018.pdf

From the DC bylaw:
Purpose
1 This Direct Control District is intended to provide for:
(a) expansive and more permissible digital signage regulations offering the necessary commercial exposure to businesses operating on-site in East Village.

Man I hope the signs are big enough. It'll help light up the area and add street character. Calgary and Canada in general outside of Toronto seriously lacks in its advertising game. Lots of metro cities around the world will have big LED ad boards littered all over hot spots and they really help enhance the street scape visually. Instead in Calgary u get mid sized rectangular signs at best with ur local real estate agent advertising how fast he can sell your home. I remember seeing one massive billboard in London on a major roadway during Spiderman Homecoming. The way it was placed around a curving road made it seem like Spiderman was shooting a web right at your face, it was pretty damn cool. I wish Calgary was more open to things like that especially along roadways like Macleod and Mcknight. Hopefully this digital advertising on the Arris podium will make the 5th ave flyover more interesting to drive on during rush hour.

Back