Votes: 29 30.9%
  • So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
The East Village is building finely grained street front retail. This is a big box service centre. It's a convenient one stop shop for the surrounding neighbourhoods. I hope it's not a game changer in the direction the East Village has taken so far.
It can be a game changer for the neighborhood without changing the direction of it. A grocery Store and pharmacy are good the for the area in general as well as the local neighborhood. Most, if not all of the smaller storefront retail in the EV won't be competitors with Loblaws or Shoppers.

Yeah I wasn't really considering it as a "them or us" sorta scenario either. AJX has perfectly summed up what I was trying to say :p With the addendum that I believe this project will accelerate the EVs completion.

It can be a game changer for the neighborhood without changing the direction of it. A grocery Store and pharmacy are good the for the area in general as well as the local neighborhood. Most, if not all of the smaller storefront retail in the EV won't be competitors with Loblaws or Shoppers.
On the topic of grocery stores re: development: I would be curious to know how influential Midtown Co-op has been on attracting development over the past decade. Considering there are relatively few other amenities out that way in the Beltline, a hell of a lot of development seems to have occurred or is occurring right around it, in the order of thousands of units (the 3 towers on 12th Ave, Mark + Versus towers, Metropolitan) over the past few years and projected in the future (11 + 11th, West Village towers). Is it all just a coincidence or a happy alignment between a grocery store existing and developers being ready to do something they already were planning to do? Or are they responding more directly to how much of an amenity the Co-op is? Many factors involved of course, but curious what others think around the role that a grocery store can play in encouraging development.

On the topic of grocery stores re: development: I would be curious to know how influential Midtown Co-op has been on attracting development over the past decade. Considering there are relatively few other amenities out that way in the Beltline, a hell of a lot of development seems to have occurred or is occurring right around it, in the order of thousands of units (the 3 towers on 12th Ave, Mark + Versus towers, Metropolitan) over the past few years and projected in the future (11 + 11th, West Village towers). Is it all just a coincidence or a happy alignment between a grocery store existing and developers being ready to do something they already were planning to do? Or are they responding more directly to how much of an amenity the Co-op is? Many factors involved of course, but curious what others think around the role that a grocery store can play in encouraging development.
I believe it's a bit of both. That part of the Beltline was prime for at least some development, but I suspect the COOP has been part of the acceleration, as residents always like having a grocery store nearby. The COOP midtown is a good one too, which helps.

20181006_153410_resized.jpg 20181006_153413_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20181006_153410_resized.jpg
    20181006_153410_resized.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 20181006_153413_resized.jpg
    20181006_153413_resized.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 425
Is it just me or does there seem to be very little progress since pretty much the end of summer aside from the crane going up?

Totally agree. They broke ground in Apr. of 2016. It's been almost three years of construction and the exterior is just beginning to go up.

Is the project getting put on pause or are they only finishing the floors theyve already done? It was probably one of the most anticipated projects in the city, not gonna lie kinda hurts to see this one fall through. It would've been two big towers on each side of downtown, one in east village and one in west village, if both had been built.

The last we heard the towers aren't going ahead. That was some time ago. The crane would probably be swapped out for either tower anyways.

Back