306 25th Avenue | 28m | 7s | DeJong

As a general fan of heritage conservation, if that was the genuine argument, they would be trying to list these buildings on the City's Inventory of Historic Resources. As you can see here, they are not. Dead give away for a NIMBY argument, which is odd given the context of the neighbourhood.

As far as the rendering , while I like the scale and street treatment, I'm not a fan of the top 2 floors. I understand they want to give patio space to the upper level, but the faux art deco silhouette and light colour looks like they kind of just gave up near the top. I'd like to see something a little stronger to match the rest of the building, specifically a continuous cornice on the second highest level to match the strength of the red brick and black window 'industrial' style. Recess penthouse level and make use of the rooftop, I think it would come together much better.

As a general fan of heritage conservation, if that was the genuine argument, they would be trying to list these buildings on the City's Inventory of Historic Resources. As you can see here, they are not. Dead give away for a NIMBY argument, which is odd given the context of the neighbourhood.

As far as the rendering , while I like the scale and street treatment, I'm not a fan of the top 2 floors. I understand they want to give patio space to the upper level, but the faux art deco silhouette and light colour looks like they kind of just gave up near the top. I'd like to see something a little stronger to match the rest of the building, specifically a continuous cornice on the second highest level to match the strength of the red brick and black window 'industrial' style. Recess penthouse level and make use of the rooftop, I think it would come together much better.
Just a point about the inventory, that's not really how it works. The Inventory is managed by Heritage Calgary and they choose what gets on the inventory. There was recently an innercity survey which identified several thousand buildings (mostly houses) with good historical integrity and of those probably a few hundred would be worthy of Inventory inclusion. So there is easily a waiting list of 300-500 sites and only about 10-20 are evaluated each year so it could seriously be 50 years before anything submitted by the CA is even considered. And even if listed it wouldn't have any effect on any potential developments at all.

Just a point about the inventory, that's not really how it works. The Inventory is managed by Heritage Calgary and they choose what gets on the inventory. There was recently an innercity survey which identified several thousand buildings (mostly houses) with good historical integrity and of those probably a few hundred would be worthy of Inventory inclusion. So there is easily a waiting list of 300-500 sites and only about 10-20 are evaluated each year so it could seriously be 50 years before anything submitted by the CA is even considered. And even if listed it wouldn't have any effect on any potential developments at all.
Oh I understand, I'm just saying if I were the person to seriously object this on the basis of heritage conservation, I'd at least have submitted something to Heritage Calgary.

Back