Member Bio
Reaction score
Thread for new proposal along 26th ave SW in Bankview City DP Link

1732.jpg

1732-2.jpg
1732-3.jpg
1732-4.jpg
1732-5.jpg

A mix of some retail, some protected cycle lanes and more residential will make 26th a great corridor. The great thing is it goes all the way up to 37th without having the Crowchild connection. Earlier, I thought maybe a connection to Crowchild would help 33rd ave, but leaving it unconnected to Crowchild is the best situation. I can see 26th start to take off soon.

A mix of some retail, some protected cycle lanes and more residential will make 26th a great corridor. The great thing is it goes all the way up to 37th without having the Crowchild connection. Earlier, I thought maybe a connection to Crowchild would help 33rd ave, but leaving it unconnected to Crowchild is the best situation. I can see 26th start to take off soon.
Yes, we really don't want Crowchild having access to 26th, it would ruin it. I think access to 33rd should also be closed off.

This isn't the place for this, but 33rd being a disaster for cars is actually a good thing. Makes it a destination rather than thoroughfare and it gets locals to walk/bike/ride transit to get to 33rd and 34th rather than drive. Not the worst for 33rd and 34th to become a retail/business hub while 26th sees some more development like this. I guess I did end up tying it back into this thread.

This isn't the place for this, but 33rd being a disaster for cars is actually a good thing. Makes it a destination rather than thoroughfare and it gets locals to walk/bike/ride transit to get to 33rd and 34th rather than drive. Not the worst for 33rd and 34th to become a retail/business hub while 26th sees some more development like this. I guess I did end up tying it back into this thread.
Agreed that 33rd is a destination and I’m sure some of the retail customers come in from Crowchild. If not cutting off crow child access altogether maybe they’re still need to be better traffic light control or something.
Right now it’s kind of a mess with all those cars from Crowchild.

Agreed that 33rd is a destination and I’m sure some of the retail customers come in from Crowchild. If not cutting off crow child access altogether maybe they’re still need to be better traffic light control or something.
Right now it’s kind of a mess with all those cars from Crowchild.
See diagram below.

Reducing the capacity of the interchange to access 33rd would be one solution - nix the high-speed slip lanes and make a no-right turns on red control. Takes Marda Loops congestion and makes it a Crowchild problem instead of a neighbourhood one.

Go further and throttle/slow the weird 1970s arterial design to the west of the interchange by integrated it to the fabric of the neighbourhood with additional signals and controls (yellow). Don't green-wave the signals. This reduced the speed and breaks up the traffic, while also opening up higher density retail/housing options along the corridor (purple areas).

A few hundred more units along a transit corridor and a new regional park with the Richmond Green Regional Park plans, all walking distance from Marda Loop. A new Richmond Road parkside retail strip is formed.

1674866490468.png

All it would take is an acceptance that a bit longer waits for cars is okay, a bit less speed is okay on turns and 33rd, and in return we move the bottleneck outside Marda Loop while maintaining access for everyone.

That is a pretty interetsing idea. My only comment is that there is quite a grade differential between east and westbound lanes for that stretch of 33rd Ave, I am not sure how easy it would be to punch in new intersections.

Still though, I like the idea, there must be some way to incorporate some of it at least.

Back