Munro | 26m | 7s | Calgary Co-op | NORR

http://engage.calgary.ca/16AvenueCoop

Looks like a new rendering for the 16th Ave Coop redevelopment. I haven't seen it before, but I like the general design and added density for the area.

I.. I mean *barf* it's okay. Better than what's there... but this is the bottom of the chum bucket of intensification designs I've ever seen.

1660059245306.png
1660059282004.png

Old rendering
Image2.jpg

Last edited:
I revoke my previous statement. This is not okay. In the context of an intensified redevelopment proposal, this couldn't possibly be worse.

It's not great (co-op), but IMO an improvement over what's there now. The parking lot at the front is gone, and there is some residential on top along with what looks like more streetfront retail. On the flipside, it is bunkerish for sure. Too much wall for my liking.

As far as mixed-use redevelopment proposals go, it couldn't be worse. Yay, surface parking gone... but for this? Christ. Might as well keep the parking lot until these developers smarten up.

Notwithstanding the residential buildings, this is a classic cop-out move by big-box developers. They pretend to adhere to the rules of urbanism by putting the building up against the sidewalk and the parking lot in the back. However, by orienting the building toward the parking lot and away from sidewalk, all they've really done is just built a typical suburban strip mall that happens to look away from the road.

As far as mixed-use redevelopment proposals go, it couldn't be worse. Yay, surface parking gone... but for this? Christ. Might as well keep the parking lot until these developers smarten up.

Doesn't surprise me. All of the Co-op redevelopment plans have looked like shit so far.

Doesn't surprise me. All of the Co-op redevelopment plans have looked like shit so far.
Agreed. I was optimistic about Co-op's redevelopments initially, but it is clear that they want to remain a suburban grocery store first, a developer or anchor second. Perhaps that's not surprising -as it is what they are - but doesn't bode well for any of their sites to truly contribute to the development of urban vibrancy and integrated into their surrounding neighbourhoods. Most disappointing is Brentwood, followed by this site given it's prominence in a redeveloping area with a BRT being constructed immediately adjacent.

Calgary has too few local institutions and retailers that understand / value what urban format design is, which is keeping our list growing of missed opportunities for good design and densification. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal don't throw away an opportunity the equivalent to this one very often anymore. Combine that with a transportation department deathly afraid of introducing off-peak, on-street parking in potential new retail areas (looking at you 16th Avenue North) it makes poor designs like this so much more likely.

But I mean, come on, this thing is going to be like 5 blocks from a subway station. Why wouldn't they want to do something attractive? Maybe to attract nice retailers for the couple CRUs, and maybe attract higher end purchasers for the condos... jeez.

Agreed. This proposal is leaving a lot on the table for Co-op. This could be so much better, and they would gain more out of it. Short changing themselves with this basic AF design.

Back