Votes: 13 15.9%
  • So so

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Not very good

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Those south and west facing suites would be unbearable without AC. As heat rises, the higher up you go in the building, the worse it would be.
I've lived in towers without AC, it's not that bad if you can get decent cross-ventilation with operable windows. That said, my windows were relatively small, I was using fans at least 30-40 days a year, and for about 10-15 nights it was uncomfortably warm. They were old buildings, so it was expected.

I can't imagine why they'd build a modern tower without AC unless there's something else at play that hasn't been disclosed (i.e. radiant cooling).

20210528_120207.jpg

Calgary gets about 5 hot days per year. AC is a waste of money.
For anyone that has lived in a high rise that faces the sun for a good part of the day, your living space heats up faster and stays hot longer than say a detached home..... and it does not have to be 30 C outside. The sun is the sun regardless of air temperature. Unless you have good windows for cross ventilation (with a breeze) which most high rise buildings do not have, you need some kind of cooling system or you are in for many uncomfortable nights.
This building may not have a true a air conditioning system but it must have what is called an 'air chiller'. I believe this is a radiant cooling system of some kind where the chilled air enters from the ceiling to the common area (kitchen/dining/living) only. The condo I bought new 12 years ago and am currently living in, has this. It was marketed as an air conditioned building even though it is not air conditioning in the truest sense.

Last edited:
Calgary gets about 5 hot days per year. AC is a waste of money.
Calgary doesn't get super hot like some places, but depending on your setup, you could easily need AC. All you need is a day above normal room temp that's clear and sunny and your two storey home, or apartment with lots of glass can get hot very easily. My old house was a standard two storey place, with not a lot of windows and it always got hot inside if it was sunny and above say 22C. I managed to live without AC but there were probably 90 days a year when it was uncomfortably warm in the upstairs. Days like today when it's sunny and 30C were unbearable.

Calgary doesn't get super hot like some places, but depending on your setup, you could easily need AC. All you need is a day above normal room temp that's clear and sunny and your two storey home, or apartment with lots of glass can get hot very easily. My old house was a standard two storey place, with not a lot of windows and it always got hot inside if it was sunny and above say 22C. I managed to live without AC but there were probably 90 days a year when it was uncomfortably warm in the upstairs. Days like today when it's sunny and 30C were unbearable.
That’s exactly what I’m dealing with, except my place is the third floor of a 120 year old house in Mission. It’s seriously brutal, fairly often. Basically all summer.

Back